Part 1

July 28, 2014 — 9:07 AM
      It's been ten minutes since their baby girl was born — 8:57 AM on Monday, July 28, 2014, Avery Johanna Castle entered the world. It's been hectic since then, but Castle, Beckett, and Alexis haven't noticed as they all stare in awe at the newborn that's being held on Kate's bare chest as a blanket lays over them. She delivered the placenta and is now being checked for any tears while the nurses prep the incubator and scale to take Avery's measurements, giving mom and baby some skin-to-skin bonding time post-birth.
      "Kate, everything looks great. You just have a few minor tears that aren't going to need any stitching. You should give classes on how to give birth because you did amazing." Dr. Chasefield says as she stands. Beckett looks up at Castle and smiles as he leans down and presses his lips to forehead. "I'm going to go tell Gram and Jim that she's here." Alexis says. "I'll send you the picture I took of her, Pumpkin, so you can show them." Castle says as he pulls out his phone, "My boobs aren't in that picture are they?" Beckett asks.
      He chuckles at his wife's question as he shakes his head, "No, they're covered by the blanket." He promises as he shows her the photo before sending it to his oldest daughter. "Mrs. Castle, I'm just going to take your little one to weigh her, measure her, and perform her APGAR along with some other stuff. Your husband is welcome to stand with me while I do this." One of the nurses says with a smile. Beckett nods indicating she wants Castle to be with Avery. She presses a kiss to her daughter's forehead before the nurse lifts her off of her chest.
      Avery begins squealing, "It's okay, we'll give you back to Mama soon." The nurse coos as she carries her over to the scale. "Kate, I'm just gonna place a pad underneath you because you'll be bleeding for a little while. Later on, I'll help you with a pospartum diaper when we change your sheets." Dr. Chasefield tells her, "A diaper?" Beckett asks, "Yeah, one thing a lot of people don't mention is that your baby isn't the only one leaving the hospital in a diaper. You'll wear them for about two to three days and then you can switch to a pad for about a week until the bleeding stops."
      Two of the nurses help lift Beckett higher onto the bed so a new pad can be placed beneath her before they removes her gown and a pile of blankets is displayed over her naked bottom half since the only thing she has on now is her nursing bra and the compression socks the hospital gives her. "I'll be back in a couple of hours to check on you guys with a lactation specialist to get Ms. Avery fed. Congratulations you two." Dr. Chasefield says before leaving them.
      Several of the nurses follow her while the nurse that was checking Avery's vitals walks back over with her baby girl who now has a hospital cap and diaper on, "Here you go, Mama." The nurse says as she places her newborn back on her chest. Castle pulls one of the blankets up over Avery's tiny body. "You two have a hearty little girl there. She's 7 pounds 8 ounces and 20 1/4 inches long." The nurse tells them. Beckett looks at her husband with wide eyes, "I can't believe I pushed that out of me." She jokes.
      "Yes, it really is a miracle." The nurse chuckles along. "If you guys need anything, just press that red button and I'll come running. My name is Emma, by the way. I'll be your perinatal nurse for the next couple of hours until we switch shifts. Congratulations, you have a very beautiful little girl." Emma says as she leaves them be. Once they're finally alone with their daughter, Beckett looks down at Avery and then over at Castle, "We made her." She whispers as she rests her cheek atop of her tiny head. "I know. She's so perfect." He says with a smile.
      "Okay, we can have twenty of her." Beckett jokes as she closes her eyes. "Do you not remember what you just went through?" He asks. "I mean I feel sore right now, but it's true what they say. The minute she was placed on my chest, I forgot about the pain." She admits. "You did amazing, Kate. You truly are extraordinary." He whispers as he kisses her forehead, "Thank you. I had an amazing support team." She compliments him. They stare into each other's eyes for a few seconds longer, "Wanna hold her, Daddy?" She asks him. He smiles and nods.
      He removes his shirt to do skin-to-skin with his baby girl before gently lifting her from his wife's chest and settling into the chair next to her hospital bed. Avery makes a few noises of protest at the sudden jostling around, "Shhhh, it's okay. Dada's here." He whispers as he settles her against his warm chest. It brings tears to Beckett's eyes to see her husband cradle their daughter. She looks so tiny in his arms. She discreetly grabs her phone and snaps a picture of the moment. It's a memory she'll forever treasure.