Part 15

March 11, 2015 — Avery Crawls
      "Good work everyone. Go home, get some rest. I don't expect to see any of you until Friday." Gates announces as she slips out of the precinct. Beckett doesn't need to be told twice before she shuts down her computer and gathers her things. She says goodbye to the boys and then rushes to her car. Ever since returning to work, she's made sure to be home by 5:30 every night if not sooner. She really can't stand to be at the precinct like she used to before she had Avery waiting at home for her.
     The universe must know how much she missed her family today because every traffic light she approached was green and the few pedestrians that were on the streets today seemed sensible and knew when to stop and walk. She pulls into the parking garage and rushes through the lobby. She nods towards Eduardo and then gets on the elevator which is empty. She feels butterflies in her stomach as she unlocks the door to the loft and smiles to see her husband and daughter on the floor in the living room. The baby begins to babble and squeal upon seeing her mother.
     "Hi baby." Kate smiles as she scoops her eight month old up and presses several kisses to her chunky cheek. Castle stands and wastes no time wrapping his wife and youngest daughter up in his arms. "How'd the case go?" He asks her, "It was the ex-boyfriend and current boyfriend working together." She answers him. "Together? Huh, that's a first I think." Castle says. She nods, "Well, it's over now and Gates gave us all tomorrow off." She smiles as she looks up and kisses him. "I'm sensing an order takeout and watch movies evening?" He asks.
     "Your senses would be correct. I'm going to go change." She says before handing Avery back to him. "Wait, she has something to show you before you get changed." Castle says. Beckett raises an eyebrow before Castle gets Avery to smile with her mouth open. Beckett's eyes widen when she sees a pearly white tooth poking out of her daughter's bottom gum, "She has a tooth!?" She exclaims and Castle nods. "I noticed a mark on her teething ring earlier when I went to go put it in the freezer and checked when she woke up." He tells his wife.
    He watches her emotions range from surprise to excitement to sadness within a few seconds. "That's amazing. I'm going to go change now." She says before disappearing into their bedroom to slip on a pair of leggings and one of his hoodies. Meanwhile, Castle takes the opportunity to call their favorite Thai restaurant and put in an order for delivery. By the time he's hanging up the phone, she walks back into the living room changed with her face free of makeup and her hair twisted up into a bun. She happily takes Avery back into her arms.
     "Wanna tell me what went through your head a couple minutes ago?" He finally asks. She falls into his chest and sighs, "She's getting so big." She whispers sadly. She feels his lips press against her forehead, "She is, but it's a good thing, Kate." "I know. I just didn't expect it to go so fast." She says. He nods, "We can always add another." He jokes. She rolls her eyes and walks away from him, "Not for at least another year, big guy." She says as she settles on the couch with Avery in her lap. "Big guy?" He asks.
     "I knew you wouldn't let that go." She rolls her eyes. Their food is soon delivered and they put on the first movie of the Fast and Furious franchise as they eat. They're halfway through the first movie when Kate notices Avery on her playmat. She watches as the baby lifts herself onto all fours. She's wobbly for sure, but she's still up. As not to startle her daughter, she gently taps Castle's hip with her foot since her legs were sprawled out on the couch. He looks over at her and she nods at Avery to whom he turns his gaze.
     They both watch quietly as Avery places her right arm and left leg out and then switches. She makes it halfway off the mat when she flops onto her belly and Castle and Beckett cheer, "Avery, you just crawled!" Beckett exclaims. Castle lifts the baby from the mat and kisses her forehead, "Good job, sweetheart." He whispers and kisses her head full of curls once more. Beckett stands to join in on the hugging. Castle kisses her cheek, "And you were worried that you'd miss her milestones." He jokes. She pinches his side before kissing Avery's cheek, "I'm glad I was here for this one." She smiles as she shoots a prayer up to God, whom she hadn't prayed to in years, begging him to let time slow down.
Part 15! Sorry it's short! Comment please.