Part 14

February 2, 2015 — Beckett's First Day Back
      Straightening her collar for the tenth time didn't seem to be helping her anxiousness. In reality, she doesn't even know why she's so anxious. She's going back to a job she's done for over a decade. A job where, besides Gates, she's a superior to most. Yet, her stomach feels like it's in knots and she wouldn't be shocked if she threw up at any moment. She feels two arms wrap around her and makes eye contact with her husband in the mirror. "How're you feeling?" He asks before kissing her cheek. She sighs.
     "Nauseous." She answers. He chuckles and then kisses her cheek once more, "You'll be fine. You'll settle back in in no time." He assures her. She turns in his arms, "You won't be there." She says in an almost whisper tone. She doesn't want to make him feel bad about it, and she knows right now him staying at home with Avery is the best decision for their family. But, selfishly, she's going to miss her partner. They've been working together for nearly four years, so to know that for the next year she will be solo, it hurts her a little bit.
     "Kate, we talked about this. I'm still you partner, in both crime and life. Right now, I'm just taking a larger chunk of the "life" role. But, I'll come back every once in awhile and help you out. You know I'm your most powerful asset." He teases which causes her to roll her eyes. "Alright, alright. I need to go kiss our daughter and go." He chuckles as he follows her out to the kitchen where Alexis is feeling Avery some blended carrots. "Okay, my girl, Mama has to go to work." Kate says as she looks down at her daughter's adorable face smeared in orange paste.
     Beckett grabs a wipe and cleans Avery before lifting her from the high chair and pressing several kisses to her cheek. "I love you, beautiful girl." Kate whispers. Castle watches as she walks over to the couch and cradles their daughter in her arms. "She going to be okay?" Alexis asks her father. "She'll be great." He assures his oldest before kissing her forehead. "Saying 'everything's gonna be okay, Mama'." Rick says as he lowers himself in front of his wife. She giggles with teary eyes, "I know. You guys will be great."
She sighs as she stands and passes the baby to Castle. He pulls her in for a kiss, "Have a good day." He says, "I'll try." She jokes as she grabs her bag and waves to Alexis before leaving. The nausea she felt this morning just gets worse the farther she gets from the apartment. She texts Castle when she gets to the precinct and smiles when she receives a picture of him holding their sleeping baby in the rocking chair in her nursery. She locks her cruiser and makes her way to the bullpen.
The minute the elevator opens she's slightly startled at the outbreak of applause. She smiles as she greets her colleagues. When she reaches her desk, she happily receives hugs from Esposito and Ryan. "How's little chica doing?" Javi asks. "She's perfect. I can't believe she's already six months old." Beckett says as she shows them the picture Castle surprised her with by printing and putting in a frame to rest on her desk. The picture was taken not that long ago — Beckett was holding Avery and kissing her cheek while the baby looked directly at the camera laughing. It was her favorite photo so far.
"Detective Beckett, my office." Gates calls out to her. Beckett shares a look with the boys before she enters the captain's office. "Sir?" "Welcome back, Detective." Gates says with a smile, "Thank you, Sir." "How is Ms. Avery doing?" "She's good. Hitting all of her milestones and growing everyday." Beckett can't help but smile as she speaks of her baby girl. "As amazing as it is, it always is a bit sad to see them get older." Gates sympathizes with her detective who nods. "Well, I don't want you overdoing it. So, here is your badge back, but I better see you packing up and going home by 5:00 every evening or I will force you to take the rest of the year." Kate chuckles and nods in appreciation as she takes her badge. The door opens, "Sorry to interrupt, Sir, but we've got a murder." Ryan says. "Go." Gates says. Kate walks out to the bullpen and grabs her keys as Ryan gives her the address of the murder. It's like I never left she thinks.

February 14, 2015
They sit across from each other, husband and wife. She's thankful that Martha agreed to watch Avery so she and Castle could enjoy a date night to celebrate the holiday. Especially after the two weeks she's dealt with since being back to work. Her first case entailed in the murder of a whole family: a dad, a mom, and their two small daughters. Turns out, it was the aunt who had just found out she was both bipolar and infertile and lashed out. Right after closing that case, there was the murder of an elderly couple and the kidnapping of their eleven year old grandson whom they had custody of. That was carried out by their daughter who lost all rights to her son after he was found alone in their apartment with her passed out on cocaine.
Needless to say, both of those cases ended with Beckett holding Avery for hours every night. She had the baby attached to her hip whenever she was home. Tonight, though, tonight is for her and her husband. In the past, she thought Valentine's Day was corny, but now she looks forward to seeing what Castle will come up with every year to celebrate. He always seems to know what she needs, and this year she needed a quiet, candlelit dinner with her husband.
She's dressed in a black sequence gown and twisted her hair up into a bun. "You're beautiful." He tells her for the thousandth time tonight. She blushes, "You don't look so bad yourself." She throws back at him. They sip their wine and have simple conversation which is exactly what she needs. "Do you want dessert?" Castle asks after the waiter take their plates. "No, there's something I'd rather I have at home." She teases and giggles when her husband rushes the waiter back with the check. Once dinner is paid for, they rush home where they quickly thank Martha after seeing Avery is down for the night and disappear into their bedroom to continue their celebration of the holiday.
Part 14! Comment please!