Prologue

Prologue :
The Fool Male Empress
-

In a world where kindness is misunderstood as foolishness, there stands a male Empress,

a figure known for his heart of gold.

Mocked and taunted by those around him, he bears the weight of their cruel words, aching from the unrequited love he feels for the emperor who never spares him a glance.

"I cherish his majesty, yet our hearts Will never Beat as one," he whispers in solitude.

Despite his regal title, respect eludes him, and he finds himself with nothing but a hollow role. The emperor's heart, it seems, was never meant to beat for him.

As the Empress faces his mortality, he makes a solemn vow to never again hope for a love that never reciprocates. His existence is confined to the boundaries of his empress title, an emblem of his isolation. Regret lingers in his heart, stemming from the naive belief that love comes effortlessly. And so, he is granted another chance through rebirth, a glimmer of hope to alter the course of his impending downfall.

Can this Empress rewrite the path carved by fate and change the narrative of his destined tragedy?

***

Xiaoniao suffered yet another fit of coughing, a spasm of blood escaping his lips. Day by day, his condition worsened, leaving him uncertain about how much time remained in his world.

He waited, day after day, hoping for the emperor to grace him with a visit, as he was, after all, the emperor's Empress. Yet, it seemed as though he had been forgotten entirely. His palace was a desolate place, much like the cold palace.

It stood empty, devoid of any signs of life. Not a single maid, eunuch, or guard was in sight. Only his two most trusted attendants, Lixin and Yangfan were by his side.

The palace itself appeared on the brink of collapse, with doors and windows precariously hanging on, the roof leaking when rain fell, and the creaking floor riddled with holes. The yard outside was a testament to neglect, the grass and plants dried out, save for the solitary, grand Maple tree that Xiaoniao had planted himself.

In a world where kindness was a scarce commodity, Xiaoniao possessed nothing more than his hollow title of Empress, bestowed upon him at random by the emperor. Despite this title, respect remained elusive. Servants ridiculed him, and noblemen treated him as though he were an insignificant canine.

To add salt to his wounds, the emperor never once deigned to visit him since their ill-fated marriage. The Empress Dowager even restricted his movements, forbidding him from attending any events. She held deep shame, unable to accept Xiaoniao as her daughter-in-law.

Despite the abhorrent treatment, Xiaoniao tried to cultivate his own happiness. He clung to the blessings he had, always donning a smile. He found solace in playing his beloved melodies on his old flute, an expression of his yearning, hoping the emperor would perhaps hear his unvoiced desires.

Tower life couldn't remain peaceful forever. With the arrival of a new concubine at the palace, Xiaoniao's existence plunged into deeper despair.

This fresh addition to the harem was greatly favored by all. Beloved by the emperor, admired by the Empress Dowager, and adored by the entire nation, her presence ignited the flames of envy and insecurity among the other concubines. Each of them harbored dreams of becoming Empress themselves in the future.

For these concubines, ousting Xiaoniao and seizing the title of Empress felt akin to snatching candy from a child. However, the task became far more challenging with the advent of the new concubine. Unable to target her directly without incurring the emperor's wrath, the vindictive concubines directed their frustrations towards the defenseless Xiaoniao, who was merely striving to endure his days within the palace.