Chapter 7

Chapter Seven:
"The Man in Purple"

__

In days of old, a young man's heart was bound,
To a bird so dear, their love was joy unbound.
Each morn he'd feed it seeds, hear songs so sweet,
But love took a turn, a story of deceit.

The young man met his love, his heart did sway,
He left his little bird, to find a brighter day.
Alone, the bird in winter's icy night,
Found a jewel gleaming, in the pale moonlight.

A necklace, silver chain, a gem so bright,
Amethyst pendant, such a wondrous sight.
The bird treasured this find, through the cold it kept,
A companion through the storms, while the world just slept.

It sang and danced, a heart filled with delight,
In the warmth of winter, through the long, dark night.
But when the young man returned to the scene,
He sought to claim the bird, his selfish scheme.

The bird, it refused, to leave its prized adornment,
To go with the young man, their love now torn.
The young man, angered, his ego bruised,
He captured the bird, their bond now abused.

He locked the bird in a cage of shining gold,
Offering bribes of seeds, his demands so bold.
"Sing for me, dance," the young man would implore,
But the bird resisted, as never before.

The little bird perished, in the cage it died,
Leaving the selfish young man, alone, to bide.
In the end, the treasure, the man held dear,
Could never replace a love that was sincere.

***

With a deep breath, Xiaoniao rubbed his aching forehead, once again haunted by the merciless memories of his time in the palace. The frustration of repeatedly revisiting these painful recollections began to gnaw at him. He wished he could simply erase those memories and lead a carefree life. But as he contemplated the past, he also recognized the advantages these memories granted him in anticipating the future. Without the knowledge gained from his previous life, he would not have been successful in his escape attempts, and he would still be imprisoned within the palace alongside Emperor Ju Long.

Despite the pain Ju Long had inflicted upon him, Xiaoniao couldn't find it in his heart to harbor hatred. Every time he looked at Ju Long's face, it was Tianyu's comforting smiles that came to mind. Tianyu and Ju Long were distinct individuals, yet something in Xiaoniao's heart connected them both.

Interrupting his thoughts, a baby's cry pierced the air. A'Xiao was the source, and three voices attempted to soothe the crying baby, but their efforts were in vain. The baby cried as though there were no tomorrow.

Xiaoniao quickly dressed himself and decided to check on the others. To his dismay, he found chaos. The baby continued to cry, the dishes were unwashed, and both Lixin and Yangfan appeared disheveled and exhausted.
After only a day of looking after the baby, their situation was already challenging. Xiaoniao couldn't help but wonder how they would manage if they had to care for this little one for an extended period.

The guilt nagged at Xiaoniao as he watched the two men, both looking exhausted and stressed, struggling to soothe the fussy baby. Despite their best efforts, the infant's cries persisted.

Under his breath, Xiaoniao muttered, "A'Xiao, you naughty little one. You won't even let your uncles rest. When you grow up, mommy will have to teach you a lesson or two."