Chapter 2

Chapter Two:
Encounter with the Vermilion Bird and the Scheme for Escape”

__

"Your Majesty, I'm sorry for not telling you about this," Sect Leader Shen said, pointing at Xiaoniao who was pretending to be asleep in the Emperor's arms.

The way he pointed at Xiaoniao was like when someone points to trash, which made the Emperor frown.

Sect Leader Shen and his second wife, Concubine Mengtao, knelt down and asked for forgiveness.

But inside, they were upset and wanted to punish Xiaoniao for making their family look bad. They had to ask the Emperor for forgiveness to save their reputation, because their daughter Xing Mei was going to be the future Empress.

Even though Xiaoniao was pretending to sleep, he knew his father and stepmother didn't like him. He felt sad knowing that the family he cared for when he was in the palace was one of the reasons he died.

Sometimes, the people you protect can hurt you the most.

But that's in the past. Luckily, he got a second chance at life thanks to the Gods. He decided to forget the bad things and live a new life.

He planned to run away and live far away from his family. That sounded like a good idea.

"Oh, yes, Your Honor, please don't pay attention to the nonsense this crazy man is saying. He's just a beggar our sect took in out of pity, but we didn't expect him to be this much trouble. Don't worry, Your Majesty, we will handle him. You there! Take Xiaoniao back to his place and make sure he doesn't bother His Majesty again!" Concubine Mengtao interjected, beckoning a nearby disciple who bowed to the Emperor with his face on the ground.

Extending his hand, he gestured as if silently asking the Emperor to hand over Xiaoniao. The Emperor's grip on the unconscious man tightened.

Upon hearing the Second Concubine's words, Yuze couldn't help but clench his fist and bite his tongue, his eyes glaring at the old woman's head like daggers.

Xiaoniao is a member of the Shen Clan too!

Yet they treated him like garbage just because he had a disability!

Among all these selfish and greedy people, Xiaoniao had a heart of gold. Even though he seemed slow in understanding things, he was actually very talented. Unfortunately, he never got a chance to showcase his abilities.

In this world, there are two types of Qi: White Qi and Black Qi. White Qi is seen as submissive and weak compared to Black Qi. Having White Qi usually led to being looked down upon. Apart from basic medical cultivation, White Qi had limited uses.

On the other hand, Black Qi was dominant and could be used in combat techniques, sealing beasts, casting spells, and more. Yuze had tried everything to help Xiaoniao cultivate, but it all seemed to be in vain.

And then there was Xing Mei, the most useless person he had ever encountered. People hailed her as great, the next outstanding cultivator after the Emperor. But the truth was, she was just a copycat.

She tricked Xiaoniao into teaching her some basic cultivation methods he had learned from his late mother, only to pretend she had invented them herself.

'The audacity of her to dream of becoming an Empress someday,' Yuze thought.

His face scrunched up, he looked away, his eyes red and teary. He took a deep breath to calm himself.

As the Emperor's hold on Xiaoniao tightened, his gaze flickered to Xiaoniao, who was pretending to be unconscious, unable to help flinching.

'You damn, awful Emperor, that hurts!' Xiaoniao thought in his head.