13. The Tent

"It's fine really," said Cora as they stopped in front of the tent. "I can sleep outside. I'm more than used to it."

She could feel Draven's fingers running through the ends of her hair before curling his fist around her locks and pulling her back into his chest. His breath on her neck sent shivers up her spine.

"And risk you running off on me? I don't know what game you're playing with me yet, but I'm not letting you out of my sight. Not until I get what I want from you. Now take off your shoes and get in the tent."

Draven let her hair go as her head fell forward. Then, with a scowl on her face, she pulled off her boots, carelessly tossing them to the side before climbing into the cramped tent. In an effort to create as much distance between Draven and herself, she shimmied her way towards the top corner, settling on the cosy insulated padding of the tent. Draven kicked off his boots, picking up Cora's in the process and placing them inside at the bottom of the tent.

"Don't leave your shoes out in the open overnight. You'll get bugs in them," said Draven as he lay down next to the entrance and zipped up the tent. Then, he proceeded to unfurl a large sleeping bag large enough to cover them both.

Draven pulled up the sleeping bag, ushering her to get under it. "Now lie down and get some sleep. You'll need your strength for tomorrow."

Cora replied reluctantly and lay down next to Draven before he draped the sleeping bag over both of them. Draven placed one arm under his head and closed his eyes, seemingly falling straight asleep as his chest rose and fell in a steady, even pattern.

The rainforest was humid so the sleeping bag worked well as a large blanket, thankful that they didn't have to zip it closed, but she couldn't help feel the extra heat against her arm as it touched Draven's. She had never slept next to anyone before, but the extra warmth was nice. Most of her life she had been confined by herself, with only the sound of her surroundings and emptiness beside her. So it felt rather unusual to have the steady breathing of another person next to her, and the warmth from his skin pressed against hers. Draven's earthy scent filled the air and soon she fell into a deep sleep to the sounds of his breathing.

Cora woke up feeling groggy, as though she had risen from a deep slumber. The darkness of the night made it hard for her to adjust her eyesight, but the sole focus right now was the urgent need to relieve herself. It was not uncommon for her to need the bathroom in the middle of the night. Stupid body, she thought. Letting out a sigh, she propped herself up on her elbows and glanced down at Draven, who had turned onto his side during his sleep, now facing in her direction.

He looked so peaceful sleeping, and an inexplicable desire arose within her to run her fingers through his hair that fell across his forehead. It looked so inviting. Instead, she suppressed the urge and looked at the opening of the tent, contemplating her next move. It seemed simple enough - she just had to manoeuvre herself over Draven, unzip the tent and get out. Perhaps putting on her shoes would also be a sensible move. She grabbed her shoes at the bottom of the tent where Draven had flung them earlier and put them on as quietly as she could.

Her hand reached over, tugging at the zip, but as soon as the noise filled the air, a hand reached over and grabbed her wrist.

"Where do you think you're going?" Draven pulled her back away from the entrance, grabbing her chin and pulling her face down to meet him. Goddess, he was stunning. "Not trying to escape now, are we?"

"I really need to pee," Cora admitted, finding herself in an awkward position. She was now partially draped over Draven, with one of his hands still clutching her wrist, while the other hand maintained its hold on her chin. As if seeking stability, her other hand instinctively found its place on top of Draven's chest.