20. The Darkest Hours

Cora had been travelling all day. Right from when the sun hit the peak through the forest, until well after the sun had passed and the moon peered through the tops of the trees. There was no break for her or the army as they took turns in pulling her along by the arm, poking her in the back or dragging along the rough surface of the forest floor when her legs were too tired to carry her anymore.

Alpha Oren remained in close proximity at all times, eager to gain his distance from Alpha Draven, but not eager enough to let Cora out of his sight. The man she saw before him was no longer the Alpha that she saw hidden behind his desk, ordering her to heal his every tiny wound so he could glance in the mirror thinking she hadn't noticed as he basked in his perfect complexion. Here was a man, who was every bit scratched up from the forest branches as the rest of his men, who walked with such a dominant presence, who was clear and focused on his goal. The man before her, was an Alpha and for the first time, she was scared of him.

She had been so close to freedom. So close to healing Draven's brother and being done with it all. For once, she had hope. And now all that was left behind her on the damp forest floor, back at the camp where she was taken away from Draven and the Blackcrest pack.

"We'll stop here for a break," said Alpha Oren. "We set off again at first light."

Cora could hear the grumbled moans of relief from the soldiers as backpacks were tossed to the ground and heavy boots were tossed to the side. There were no tents being setup. If the soldiers had them, they didn't care or didn't want to expend the energy on the task.

"You're with me." Alpha Oren grabbed Cora's wrist, tugging painfully as he pulled her to a tree trunk and sat down, forcing her to her knees in front of him.

Her heart pounded so hard that she thought it would burst out of her chest. Alpha Oren was tall and intimidating, and his eyes glinted with malice as he glared down at her. He reached for her face, but she turned away, refusing to look into his eyes.

Alpha Oren slapped her across the face, stunning her momentarily. When she came to, he forced her gaze back on his. This time, she didn't move as he gripped her harshly by the jaw.

"I hear Draven has taken a liking to you." Alpha Oren pulled Cora into his lap.

It was an odd position to be in. Cora's legs had been pushed around Alpha Oren's body as she collapsed into his lap, closer than she would have liked. She had never truly been this close to him before and the smell of sweat and citrus hit her nose, making her want to gag.

Alpha Oren grinned at her, revealing his sharp teeth. "I'm starting to see why," he murmured, running his hand along her thigh.

She tried to move away, but he held her tightly in place. His touch felt like fire as his fingers ran across her thighs and up her back, burning through her clothes and searing her skin.

Cora tried to speak, but nothing came out. Her heart raced as she struggled against his hold. He leaned forward, bringing their faces too close for comfort.

"Don't fight me," he whispered. "Or I'll make you regret it you little whore."

Her mind raced as she searched for a way out. There was none. She could feel his strength, his power over her. And with that, he forced his lips on hers, invading his tongue inside. She pushed her head to the side, breaking their kiss as his lips attacked her neck, nipping and sucking at her delicate skin until it was bruised and red.

Eventually Alpha Oren released her neck but remained towering over her. His grip loosened, but not enough to let her go. Either way, she didn't dare move out of his lap, despite desperately wanting to scuttle backwards and hide behind the nearest tree she could find.