Beam of Light - Joker Out

Heavy drops trickled down from dark clouds. Earlier today it had been sunny and blue skies and now it was a downpour. It had only been a matter of minutes before practically all of Slovenia was soaked.

"How do you miss weather this bad?"

Jan yelled, as they ran, trying to find cover.

"They did say it would rain"

Nace yelled back.

"Yeah, but not this much! Look this part of the road is already flooded"

They all stopped to stare at what was practically a lake covering multiple meters of road. Quickly, they huddled under the two umbrellas Kris and Jure had been smart enough to bring.

Today was just supposed to be a fun trip out of the city. They had taken the train, then walked pretty far before finding a good spot to just hang. Then, almost like a light switch being turned, it got dark and almost instantly began to rain.

"Well, we're already wet. Might as well just get it over with"

Bojan said.

"Argh I guess. But I still don't understand-"

"Neither do we. Now let's go"

They walked through the water, Jan still muttering about the bad weather forecast. After a few minutes they came across what looked to be an abandoned bus stop. None of them recalled having seen it on the trip out, but they were not complaining. It might be cold but at least they were better protected from the rain.

"When was it predicted to stop raining?"

Jure asked.

Kris fished out his phone, which he had managed to keep dry by hiding it in his armpit. They all surrounded him.

"Soon. The next hour is promising sun again"

"I call bull"

Jan groaned.

They all stared out at the sad, grey landscape. It did seem like some of the clouds were a bit brighter than others, far out in the horizon.

Jan hugged himself trying to stay warm. The others were trying to keep the mood up, but it was safe to say that he was pretty grumpy. In the corner of his eye, he suddenly noticed something. A tall woman was walking up to the stop.

The others did not seem to notice her, as she placed herself next to him. Her brown hair flowed like waves on the sea, and when she looked at him, he felt a breeze of warm wind.

Without a word she reached out a hand and put it atop of his head. Before he could even react, a flower crown of wild flowers, among them being alpine barrenwort, colt's foot and red-stemmed filaree, bloomed around his head. Two red carnations sat prominently on each side. 

Then, even more surprisingly she leaned over and kissed him on the forehead, leaving him stunned

The others had of course noticed what was going on. She went over to Nace and Jure, where she did the same thing.

Bojan was about to say something, when she was in front of him. He only managed to inhale, before she put a hand on both sides of his head. His flower crown seemed a bit more mixed, but the red carnations still sat prominently like glistening rubies.

Then there was Kris. He seemed small next to her. He felt so too. His crown was noticeably different with the added tulips woven around his carnations.

 His crown was noticeably different with the added tulips woven around his carnations

They all looked at her, confused and mesmerised. When her lips had touched their skin, it had not felt like a kiss, but like the summer sun. It had made them forget that they were freezing, that their clothes were soaked. For in that very short moment, it had felt like June.

Her body glowed in a strange, ethereal way as she slowly became more translucent. Kris reached out a hand, but it went right through her.

As she disappeared the golden light stayed and they realised it was clearing up. In the distance the blue sky was just visible. Between the grey clouds sunlight beamed down, like hope in despair.

The rain had completely ceased.