|Epilogue|

The love that called me without fear

SEONGHWA SHUFFLED FORWARDS stepping over a couple of flowery logs for fear of crunching them.

Rays of light cut through the dense canopy of trees, remnants of the afternoon sun going down peacefully.

Spring day was coming to an end, soon to be replaced with the hot summer weather.

As he walked in the woods he heard the repetitive drumming of woodpeckers in the trees and the familiar shuffling of creatures in the bushes going about their lives. Seonghwa was soon to realise that walking in the woods was never a lonely activity. He was among a multitude of other creatures. He stopped for a moment to admire vivid wild flowers circling the truck of an oak tree like an idyllic frame. The scent of flowers and fresh earth wafted through the air and Seonghwa felt at peace in this environment full of life.

Hongjoong had been right, it wasn't always barren and cold, ghastly and frozen.

This place was enchanting, dragging him in its embrace and coaxing his inner energy.

It had been five years since he'd been gone. Five years that he had left him here, alone.

He hadn't forgotten his time here, no. But he had stored it away in a corner of his mind and had not considered it again since. It was a chapter in his life that he had lived through and passed. His time here was like a love letter he couldn't read again yet refused to throw away. However, he had returned after many years, nostalgia suddenly taking hold of him. He couldn't help but come back to it one last time.

Seonghwa's eyes suddenly widened and he quickened his steps before kneeling down in front of a familiar tree stump. It was covered in moss and grass but it had held up all these years. Seonghwa could only express his gratitude. He stroked the top of the tree stump, removing the dirt and moss covering the wood. His lower lip trembled slightly when he saw the inscriptions carved into it. It had been so long...

The echoes of their winter days remained as snowflakes immune to the hot rays of the summer sunshine. The happy memories came surging through his mind as strangers and he welcomed them in.

This wood was a sanctuary of memories, where his inner self could rest. He felt at ease, he felt at home.

He sat on the tree stump and he hummed contentedly closing his eyes.

He stayed like that for hours, sitting still, letting his mind rest. It was only the rustling of bushes that made him open his eyes. He looked up at the noise and his heart froze in his chest, a lump forming in his throat.

Out from behind high bushes and trees a blond man appeared carrying in one hand a bunch of wildflowers and ferns.

Surely sensing a presence not far away, he looked up from the ground. His eyes widened, he dropped his flowers and let out a gasp of shock.