Three: Tricked!

Israel was the dreaded army, coming after the land of Canaan. Jericho was defeated, and Ai was defeated. The Israelites were on a mission, with God's protection, and they were winning over the land. Kings far and wide heard about what was happening, they were terrified. Their land, their cities, and their people were in danger.

The people of Gibeon were living close by and knew it wouldn't be long before the Israelites came to attack them. They knew they had to act quick and be smart. They conjured up a scheme. 

They disguised themselves as a delegation whose donkeys were loaded with worn-out sacks and old wineskins, cracked and mended. The men put worn out and patched sandals on their feet. They wore old clothes and carried dry moldy bread. They looked the part.

They went to Joshua in the camp at Gilgal and said to him and the men of Israel, "We have come from a distant country, make a treaty with us."

The men of Israel questioned whether they were truly from a far off country and felt they could not make a treaty with them if perhaps they lived close by. Trying to play it smart they kept their distance and made sure not to act too quick to trust the men.

Seeing their hesitation the men of Gibeon continued with the act and said, "We are your servants."

Joshua asked, "Who are you, and where do you come from?"

They answered, "We come from a very distant country because of the fame of the Lord your God. We have heard reports of all he did in Egypt, and all he did to the kings east of the Jordan, Og King of Bashan, and Sihon King of Heshbon. Our elders and our people told us to go make treaty with you. This bread we packed on the day we left was warm, but now it is dry and moldy. The wineskins we filled were new, but you can see how cracked they are. and our clothes and sandals are worn out by the very long journey."

The men of Israel saw that what they were saying were true. They thought about it, but they made a big mistake when they did not inquire of the Lord. Joshua knew what it was like to travel from a far off country and to have fear. The people were begging for a treaty so he decided to make a treaty of peace with them to let them live. The leaders of the assembly ratified it by oath.

Three days after they made the treaty with the Gibeonites, word traveled back to the Israelites that those men were in fact neighbors, living near them. They were frustrated with themselves for trusting so quickly. But the deal had already been struck. All they could do was load up and set out to face them. So the Israelites set out and came to their cities on the third day. These cities were called Gibeon, Kephirah, Beeroth, and Kiriath Jearim. Israel did not attack because of their oath. They grumbled and argued among themselves, not knowing what to do. Finally they decided they would let them live because of their oath. That way the wrath will not fall on them for breaking an oath. 

They said, "We will let them live, but they will be our slaves, working as woodcutters and water carriers for the entire Israelite community." 

Joshua summoned the Gibeonites and said, "Why have you lied to us and made us swear an oath to you. You claimed to live far away when you were living near us? You are now under a curse. You will serve as woodcutters and water carries for the house of God."

They answered Joshua, "Your servants were clearly told how the Lord your God had given this land over to you and commanded you to wipe out its inhabitants from before you. We feared for our lives because of you. We are now in your hands. Do to us whatever seems right and fair to you."

So Joshua and his army allowed them to live. The Gibeonites became watercarriers and woodcutters for the entire Israelite community

(The Gibeonites saved themselves by performing an elaborate deception, acting as if they had come from a far away land. The Israelites tried to check their story, but neglected the most important test of all, they didn't ask God about it. They failed to inquire the Lord about the matter. God is in charge, and He is the only way to victory. The Gibeonites' trick saved their lives but they were forced to become servants. Later some of them convert to Judaism. Some even help rebuild the wall of Jerusalem later on. And, at least one of King David's mighty men was a Gibeonite. Even so, the Gibeonites often caused trouble for Israel.)

(Life Question: Have you ever been frustrated with yourself because of a promise or commitment you made for someone you learned later may have been using you or lying to you? Did you stick to the promise even though it was given under false pretenses? God can turn everything bad or negative into glory for His kingdom, He knows all and knows your heart. Always consult God about everything , for this clears up most problems that may arise from people who aren't trustworthy. )