Eight: Disobedience and Defeat

Joshua's death left the Israelites without a true leader for the first time ever. They remembered what they were taught and for many years continued to stay on the right track. Peaceful years went by as they continued to follow God's commands and laws. If things continued that way there was nothing God wouldn't do to lead them, guide them and protect them as he had always done. Without a leader it could have been easier for them to be led astray and forget about the laws and decrees God had given, but they held fast and kept doing their part. 

As the years quickly passed by the Israelites knew the time was coming when God expected them to continue to take over the promised land. There was more God wanted them to take possession of. God expected them to be brave and face it instead of putting it off any longer. So, when the time came that the Israelites were to go up and fight for more of the land promised to them they asked God, "Who will be the first to go up and fight for us against the Canaanites?" (Without a leader the elders of the clans came together and talked with God. He answered them directly and they had a close relationship.)

The Lord answered, "The tribe of Judah is to go, I have given the land into their hands."

The descendants of Judah asked the tribe of Simeon (Simeonites), their brothers, to go up and help fight with them, and in turn they promised to help them when the time came. So the Simeonites agreed to help. 

When Judah attacked the Canaanites and Perizzites God handed them into their hands and they were able to strike down ten thousand men at Bezek with God's help and protection. It was there that they found Adoni-Bezek a ruthless, cruel leader, who fled during the battle. They chased him and caught him and cut off his thumbs and big toes. ( They done this because he had done the same thing to many other people through the years and also because without thumbs and big toes he could not grip a weapon or run quickly, guaranteeing this captured enemy would never fight again.) At his capture Adoni-Bezek said, "Seventy kings with their thumbs and big toes cut off have picked up scraps under my table, Now God has paid me back for what I did to them." The Israelite soldiers brought him to Jerusalem and he died there.

The men of Judah went on and attacked Jerusalem next and successfully took possession of it as well. God fought for them, God protected them. They put the city to the sword and then set it on fire. Then the men of Judah went down to fight against the Canaanites in the hill country, the Negev, and the western foothills. They took Hebron, Sheshai, Ahiman, and Talmai. Also Debir. All of the successes kept coming - they fought with God as their leader. 

Then Caleb said, "I will give my daughter Achsah in marriage to the man who attacks and captures Kiriath- Sepher. Othniel, a brave fighter who was also Caleb's younger brother captured it, so Caleb gave his daughter to him in marriage. 

One day when Achsah came to Othniel, her husband, she urged him to ask her father for a field. He wanted to please her because he loved her so he did.  She realized though that the field didn't have water so she rode her donkey to her father and when she came down from her donkey her father Caleb asked her, "What can I do for you?" She replied, "Do me a special favor. Since you have given me land in the Negev, give me also springs of water." So Caleb gave his daughter the upper and lower springs. ( This is an example of how we should approach our father in heaven. We see that Achsah not only showed her father respect when she approached him, but she also asked for springs of water rather than just a well or something small. She asked for something that would be sustainable, that would last.  She also asked boldly, rather than limit her request. God our father knows what we need before we ask, he knows when we are in need and He too will ask, "What can I do for you?".  When she asked respectfully her father wanted to please her, so not only did he give her what she requested but he exceeded it by giving her the upper and lower springs. Same as our father in heaven wants to give us way more than we ask for if we respect Him and follow his commands. He loves us and wants to give us so much more than we expect.)