Six: More Allotment of Land

Joseph's share of the inheritance in the land in Canaan would be divided between his two sons, who would each receive a full share because that's how Israel and ultimately God said it would be done. His two sons were the Tribe of Ephraim, and The tribe of Manasseh. Manasseh's tribe was split up and half of the tribe had already chose to take their share east of the Jordan. Therefore Joshua was required to give the other half tribe of Manasseh and Ephraim their shares. So Joshua pointed out the land beginning at the Jordan, east of the waters of Jericho and going up through the desert into the hill country of Bethel. It extended westward toward Beth Horon and on to Gezer, and ended at the sea. There were remaining Canaanites living in Gezer that the Israelites had failed to dislodge. They didn't view it as a big deal, in fact, the tribe of Ephraim required those people to do forced labor. In Manasseh's line about five generations down a man named Zelophehad had no sons, but only daughters. They were also given an inheritance according to the Lord's command to Moses when they had brought their appeal to him when they were still in the desert. (See Numbers 27 1-11, and Numbers 36).

Once Joshua assigned the portion of land out to those two tribes they began to settle but they were unhappy because they felt they only had  one allotment of land in total, and though it was a large portion they went to Joshua and exclaimed that they felt their tribes were very large and would need a bigger portion, especially since some of the Canaanites refused to move out. Joshua replied, "If you are too numerous and if the hill country is too small, go into the forest and clear land for yourselves there in the land of the Perizzites and Rephaites." But they exclaimed, "All the Canaanites who live there have iron chariots and refuse to leave." So Joshua said to Manasseh and Ephraim, "You are numerous and very powerful. You will have not only one allotment but the forested hill country as well. Clear it and its farthest limits will be yours, though the Canaanites have iron chariots and are strong, you can drive them out."  

(Dangerous battles were being won and land was being claimed but not everyone was happy with the portion Joshua gave them. In this case Ephraim and the half tribe of Manasseh wanted more. Joshua had more important issues. He had others who needed their share. There were still seven tribes who had yet to receive their inheritance. Though lots of wars had been won, they were coming upon a turning point. A point where instead of driving out the Canaanites completely as God directed, the Israelites were using them as forced labor. They were beginning to get a little too comfortable with the services those slaves provided. Also some tribes were simply too fearful to fight some of the people - like those with iron chariots! Yet God told them not to fear!)

The whole assembly of Israelites gathered at Shiloh ( A country they brought under their control) and set up the Tent of Meeting. This became a gathering place for everyone and was a central place for the leaders to meet and the place to worship. 

At one meeting Joshua asked the remaining seven tribes who didn't have their inheritance, "It is time to take possession of the land that the Lord has given you. No more waiting! Appoint three men from each tribe. I will send them out to make a survey of the land. Once the descriptions of the land have been written you will bring the descriptions here to me and I will cast lots in the presence of the Lord our God." So the men went through the land, wrote out descriptions on a scroll town by town in seven different parts, then returned to Joshua in the camp at Shiloh. Joshua then cast lots for them and there he distributed the land to the Israelites according to their tribal divisions.

The tribe of Benjamin received the territory between the tribes of Judah and Joseph. Their boundary began on the Jordan forming the boundary on the eastern side, it extended to Beth Horon, Kiriath Baal, and into the Valley of Ben Hinnom. There were fourteen towns and villages in their section.

The tribe of Simeon received the territory of Beersheba which included thirteen towns and villages and went on to the villages and towns as far as Baalath Beer. Their portion was taken out of Judah's portion because they had more than they needed. (So the Simeonites lived within the territory of Judah.)

Zebulun received their inheritance next. The boundary of their territory went as far as Sarid, extending to Maralah, toward the east to Sarid Tabor and then up to Japhia. The boundary went around on the north to Hannathon and ended at the Valley of Iphtah El. It included were twelve towns along with their villages.

Issachar received his territory next. It included Jezreel, Kesulloth, and fourteen other towns and villages.

Asher received Helkath, Hali, Beten, and many other towns on the west boundary touching Carmel, and Shihor Libnath. It turned eastward toward Beth Dagon and included in all a total of twenty-two towns and villages.

The tribe of Naphtali received their inheritance clan by clan including the towns of Heleph, Jabneel, Lakkum and the large tree in Zaanannim. The boundary ran west through Aznoth Tabor and came out at Hukkok. It included nineteen towns and their villages.

The tribe of Dan was next . They received Zorah, Elon, Jehud, and an area facing Joppa and many other towns. However the Danites had difficulty taking possession of their territory so they went up and attacked Leshem, took it and put the people to the sword and occupied it. They settled in Leshem and named it Dan after their forefather.

When they had finished dividing the land, the Israelites in turn gave Joshua an inheritance among them, as the Lord had commanded. They gave him the town he asked for - Timnath Serah in the hill country of Ephraim. Joshua and his descendents build up the town and settled there.

The Israelites had only a few more sections of land to settle. They were to name some cities as cities of refuge as instructed by God to Moses. These cities were designed to aid a person who caused an accidental death or 'involuntary manslaughter'. They provided a sanctuary from revenge until trial. However, they did not provide shelter for someone who committed a permediated intentional murder.  The Levites were responsible for this so they set apart several cities in selected territories from different tribes so that someone who unintentionally killed someone could flee and not be killed by the avenger or blood prior to standing trial before the assembly.

The Levites were allotted several towns to settle in since they were not given an inheritance. As the Lord had commanded, the Levites were to be given towns and pasturelands. So Joshua allotted the Levites several towns taken from each tribe as their territory. They received forty-eight towns from different tribes and were able to scatter out the priest among the Israelites so they could continue to instruct them in the law and lead worship.

Lastly Joshua summoned the Reubenites, the Gadites and half-tribe of Manasseh (Who had settled land east of the Jordan ) and told them they had carried out their promise to obey the commands of the Lord and not abandon their brothers. They stood by them and  fought with them. They helped take over the land and now they were allowed to return to their homes in the land they took on the East of the Jordan! What an accomplishment! They were so happy to be allowed to return to their wives and children. He told them to continue to be careful and obey the law and to hold fast to the Lord and serve Him with all their hearts and all their souls. Joshua sent them away with his blessing and their great wealth, their large herds, livestock, silver, gold,bronze, iron, and great quality of clothing.

So the Lord gave Israel all the land he had sworn to give their forefathers and they took possession of it and settled there. The Lord gave them rest on every side, just as he had sworn to their forefathers. Not one of their enemies withstood them. The Lord handed all their enemies over to them. Not one of all the Lord's good promises to the house of Israel failed. Every single one was fulfilled!

(Life Question: Are you trusting God's promises? Wow! Isn't it amazing, God brought them out of Egypt and gave them the land he promised. It took many years - years that He was teaching them discipline, and obedience. But when the time was right He blessed them with great health, and wealth,and made their enemies flee. He gave them rest and peace. They lived in freedom, in a fertile land for many happy years. No matter what God promises you, He will fulfill those promises.  May not be on your time, or when you want, but in His perfect timing  he will! Do you trust Him? )