chapter i. move in day

"Yes, Ethan. I'm fine moving in by myself." Cameron Edwards rolled her eyes at her brother on the other end of the FaceTime call. She hadn't seen him in weeks, and she doesn't see him during anytime of the year except Christmas and Summer. The change was hard, as the two siblings had always been each others best friends. But all of that was going to change now that Cameron had gotten into the University of Michigan, barely might she add.

"I was just offering to help, no need to get all moody on me Cammy." The boys teasing smile displayed on her phone, resulting in another eye roll. "I'm perfectly fine, I'm a big girl now."

"Yeah, sure."

"Is that Cammy?" A voice that Cameron recognised as Mark sounded through the other side of the phone. Cameron's frown immediately quirked up, she had always liked Mark. A bit too much for Ethan's liking, but she liked him regardless. Cameron watched with as Mark snatched the phone out of her brothers hand, a blush creeping up onto her face at the sight of the boy. "Hi Cammy."

"Hi Marky."

"Stop smiling at my sister, weirdo." Ethan exclaimed before snatching the phone back, rolling his eyes in the process.

Cameron stopped at the front of her new room, which she was meant to share with four other freshmen. She had never really had a big circle growing up, as a result of her lack of social skills. She was just hoping the girls were nice.

"Okay, I'm here. I'll see you later." Cameron smiled at the two older boys, dropping her duffel bag and releasing her hold on her suitcase as she fished through her keys that admin had given her.

"You better, as soon as you finish unpacking." Ethan demanded. "Yeah, yeah. Whatever, love you bye." Cameron mumbled as she focused on unlocking her door.

"Love you too, Cammy."

"Yeah, love you too, gorgeous." Mark said as he winked at her through the phone. The last thing Cameron saw before she hung up was her brother slapping his friend upside the head.

Opening the door to her new shared apartment, Cameron was met by four boys on the couch, all playing Mario Kart and yelling at one another. She had no idea how she didn't hear the commotion before walking in. She stood at the door, glancing around for the sight of the boys girlfriends, who she assumed would be her roommates. As if they could sense her presence, four sets of eyes fell on her.

"Oh shit!" A brunette exclaimed before jumping off the couch and walking over to the Edwards girl. "You must be Cameron's girlfriend, or something. I'm Rutger, but you can call me Rut."

Cameron smiled at the friendly boy, before her smile dropped at the mention of another boy she had never met, her supposed boyfriend.

Who the fuck was Cameron?

Wait! She was Cameron!

"He made you bring up all his stuff? Man, I told you he was gonna be a pussy!" Another boy who was sat on the couch told his friends, laughing loudly before punching one in the arm.

"What, no! I'm not Cameron's girlfriend." Cameron defended, fiddling with the house key in her hand. "So, you're just a random girl who broke into our apartment?" Rutger asked slowly, his eyes fleeting down to the house key in her hand.

"Your apartment? No, I live here. Where are the rest of the girls?" As her eyes trailed around the room, she noticed all of the looks the other boys were giving each other. Her welcoming smile dropped, along with her hands that she had used to gesture around the room when speaking. "There are no other girls, are there?"

Rutger shook his head, a humorous smile tugging at his lips. "C'mon roomie, hope you're good at Mario Kart." He said as he placed his hands on Cameron's shoulders and pushed her slightly towards the couch, turning to grab her bags before shutting the door behind him.