chapter v. leo knoxx

Cameron was awoken, like she was most mornings, with the sound of bickering and the smell of something burning. Cameron had decided that she had a love hate relationship with her new roommates who acted as alarm clocks.

Walking out of her room, she was met with the sight of pure chaos.

Adam and Luca were arguing about something she couldn't quite comprehend, whilst Nick was ferociously trying to put out a small fire he had accidentally started whilst trying to cook eggs. He burnt his eggs every morning, Cameron had no idea why he continued to try.

Shuffling noiselessly over to the kitchen counter, she slid into the seat beside Rutger. The boy smiled warmly at her, before sliding his plate of toast over. The girl smiled in appreciation, her cheeks twinging with pink as she picked up a piece.

Ever since the near kiss that was shared between her and Rutger on the couch a few days prior, the two had been awkward around each other. Small kind gestures and smiles were all that was shared between the two.

The bickering that occupied the kitchen was forced to a stop when two loud knocks rang through the house.

Adam huffed frustratedly before marching over to the door.

"Who are you?" He asked almost passive aggressively to the visitor. "Is Cam here?" A male voice responded. All remaining eyes in the kitchen fell onto the Edwards girl as she slipped out of her seat and walked up to the door.

Her confused face upturned into one of surprise at the sight of Leo, her coworker and new found friend, on the other side of the door. "Hi Knoxxy." She smiled, shoving passed Adam, who rolled his eyes and returned to the kitchen.

"Elodie is waiting downstairs, I came to pick you up." He explained, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly when four boys shot him an incredulous glare from inside. "Pick her up?" Rutger asked aloud. Cameron's smile dropped as she turned to face her roommates. All of them wore a look of confusion, except Rutger, who looked to be upset for some reason.

"Did we have plans today?" Cameron asked Leo, who shook his head. "Not until five minutes ago when El made me pick you up." Leo made it out that he would rather be anywhere but here, but his playful tone gave himself away.

Cameron nodded her head before stepping aside, "come in while I get ready."

And with that she disappeared into her room to get ready for the plans she didn't know existed. Leo stood in the living room of the apartment, rocking back and forth on his heels awkwardly as he tried to ignore the four sets of eyes that were peering holes into the side of his head.

"Okay, I'm just gonna ask. Who are you?" Luca was the first to break the awkward silence, leaning up against the kitchen counter. "I'm Leo, I work with Cam."

Luca gasped at the revelation, "is your boss actually that creepy?"

Leo laughed at the question before nodding his head, "bro's never felt the touch of a woman and has decided to make it everyone's problem." The tension in the room eased as the majority of the boys fell into simple conversation. All except Rutger, who continued to glare daggers at the boy standing in his living room, wondering what Cameron even saw in him.

"Okay, let's go!" Cameron exclaimed as she reemerged from her room, now dressed in casual clothes and her hair brushed. She wasn't even wearing any makeup and Rutger still thought she was the most beautiful girl he had ever laid eyes on. Which is why he couldn't help but look away when her and Leo left the apartment together, laughing quietly over something the boy had said.

The day had only just started, but it was completely ruined for the McGroarty boy.

By the time Cameron had returned to the apartment, the sun had fallen and the day was well and truly over. It turns out, having fun for her two coworkers meant going to a nearby arcade and relentlessly bullying each other for hours on end. Regardless, Cameron had fun and the day had escaped her because of this.

The apartment was eerily quiet and empty when she returned home. The entire living room was dark, only lit up by the phone screen of the McGroarty boy, who was scrolling aimlessly on the couch.

"Hey Rut," Cameron smiled at the boy as she closed the door behind her, "where's everyone else?"

"Out." Rutger replied dryly, scrolling Instagram but he couldn't get himself to focus on the posts he was seeing. Not when Cameron Edwards was standing over him and he could see the small flicker of hurt coat her face, but it disappeared as quick as it had come.

"Why didn't you go with them?" She asked, she either didn't get the hint that he was in a bad mood or she just didn't care. "Didn't want to." He mumbled.

Cameron's face scrunched up in confusion before she replied once more, "did you wanna do something? We can watch a movie. Leo told me about these movies about a guy who goes psycho over someone killing his dog and they sound kinda cool."

Rutger couldn't resist the urge to roll his eyes as he stood up from the couch. "Maybe you should invite him over then." His tone was cold and like a punch to the face. Cameron had no idea where the boy who gave her his toast this morning went, but she sure as hell didn't like the boy who had replaced him.

She opened her mouth to say something, but stopped herself when she realised she was not the one who had to try and fix the rift in the friendship. But Rutger didn't seem to care as he left the room entirely.

Cameron scoffed as she watched him disappear behind his bedroom door, running an agitated hand through her hair. "Asshole."

"Whose an asshole?" Cameron jumped at the new voice, turning to face Luca, who stood behind her whilst obnoxiously sipping on a milkshake from the diner across campus. She didn't even hear him come in.

"Rutger, he's being rude for no reason." Cameron huffed before falling backwards onto the couch, staring up at the ceiling with a sour look. "Tell me about it, he's been in a mood since you left this morning." Luca explained truthfully as he sat down on the other end of the couch, shrugging his shoulders before beginning to scroll on his phone.

"Well, he needs to snap out of it, because it's uncalled for and I haven't done a single thing." Cameron spoke confidently before disappearing off into her own room.