Hope-10

Sophie awoke that morning to find that she was no longer on the roof. Nor was she in her own corner on the floor with a bag for a pillow. Instead, she lay on a mattress, an actual pillow supporting her head, and Iggy tucked snug under her arm. Sophie sat up, rubbing away the grogginess.

Iggy stirred, his big eyes finding Sophie's. He skittered up her arm and took perch on Sophie's shoulder. Standing up, Sophie dug through the clothes from yesterday's "shopping" spree. Finding a brown shirt with a black and yellow design that fell past her waste, and some black leggings, Sophie dressed. Changing her clothes for the first time after days felt as though she were dancing in the rain after a decade of droughts. Cleaning up helped her feel put-together and well.

Tying her hair back, Sophie climbed the stairs to the roof. Only this time, it wasn't to pity herself, but to enjoy the world around her. She opened the door to find a big, blue sky free of clouds. The sun seemed to welcome her into a new day, free of worries, free of tears. Free. Like the sky, Sophie's own mind felt clear of fog, lighter and without haunting memories. Of course, a faint pain still lingered. That would never fade, though. But that was life. You live, you feel, then you grow.

Reaching her arms high above her heads, she wore her brightest smile. It may not have been real, but the fact that she could smile, even a little, was a sign. Yesterday, even wearing a fake smile felt impossible. Now, her smile could convince millions that she were the luckiest person in the world. Today was the day that she, not get rid of, but embrace the pain. Embrace her own change, one that would guide her to happiness.

"Good morning," a familiar voice said. Evander.

"Morning," Sophie said, turning red as she found him smirking. He made his way over to her side, staring out past the city and into the distance. Sophie followed his gaze to find the horizon, stretching on forever. The sun's warm glow tickled her skin, and she soaked it all in, stretching.

"Did you sleep well?"

"I did," Sophie said, thinking back to the mattress. "Why was I using Rajni's mattress? Where's everyone else?"

"Rajni wanted you to use it for the night. She and Ken used mine and Koen's mattress."

Sophie frowned. "Where did you and Koen sleep?" Had they slept on the floor because of her? Guilt swelled.

"Don't worry," Evander assured her. "Koen and I didn't mind. If it meant helping you, we'd do anything. All of us would. You're a Renegade, Sophie. Our friend. Besides, it was only one night."

His words eased Sophie's panic, and she nodded. "How did... you know I'd left last night?"

"Iggy came and found me. I couldn't tell what he was saying at first, but I figured it out eventually."

"Sorry. Had you been busy?"

Evander met her eyes, not blinking as he spoke. "Even if I had, Sophie, I wouldn't care. I'm glad Iggy found me. You're one of us now, and everyone would do anything to help. Okay? You aren't a burden. We want to be there for you. So, let us."

Sophie found his eyes, deep like an ocean--full of beautiful things and calming waves. He took her hands, giving them a light squeeze. "Please?"

Slowly, Sophie nodded. "Okay. I'll try."

Relief washed over his features, his shoulders relaxing. "We found each other for a reason, Sophie. So, let's take advantage of that. From now on, we'll do this together. All of us, we've got your back."

Sophie nodded again, a smile creeping across her face. This time, she didn't fight it. She deserved to be happy. She deserved to be loved. She deserved the right to fight for herself.