Clouds- 16

Thunder roared, though it wasn't the void, this time. Hanging over the apartment, as well as the city, loomed a blanket of grey clouds. It would rain soon, but the cops were gone, and the Renegades were safe. All but Evander, that is. While Kenna insisted he would be fine, Sophie couldn't help but worry. He'd disappeared so suddenly, without telling anyone.

"I'm hungry." Rajni showed Kenna her new purse. "Would this be enough for some food?"

"It would, but I doubt anyone would take that unless we sold it for cash."

"How are we supposed to sell things when people will be looking for this stuff? They'll be tracking sales throughout the area, now."

"Why not swipe some food, and we'll save the money for when things with the items cool down and everyone gets over it? We've already committed one crime today, why not more?"

To everyone's surprise, the idea came from Sophie. Jaws dropped; eyes stared, dumbfounded. Sophie stared back, her mind running in circles as she tried to understand the problem. It was true, wasn't it? It wasn't like they'd get caught, either. They had Sophie's teleportation that could be exposed, if needed. They also had her inflicting, enhancing, and a telepathy. "What's the problem?"

Picking at her nails, Kenna was the first to speak up. "It's honestly nothing. We're just... surprised the idea came from you."

"What's wrong with my idea? If we get caught, I've got my inflicting, enhancing, and telepathy. That's if teleportation is out of the question, but---"

"Sophie," Koen said, in all seriousness. "That's the thing. Inflicting. Are you really willing to inflict on humans because they might stop us from doing something that's illegal, anyways? We aren't against the idea, but coming from you?"

Sophie's own jaw dropped, finally understanding what they were saying. In just a few months, she'd gone from feeling physically ill at the thought of stealing, to suggesting it along with inflicting on others simply because they were in the way. A sick feeling crept into Sophie's stomach. Sure, she was a Renegade, but to be so willing to commit a crime that she'd suggest it? Their shock made sense. How could just a couple months in the Forbidden Cities have such an impact on her?

Shoving the thoughts aside, Sophie focused on the important issue. "Rajni said she was hungry, I thought of a way to help. Is it strange for me to want to help my family?" She hated how defensive she sounded, but wasn't it the truth? She wasn't even sure, anymore. So, she was grateful when they eventually nodded. With that settled, Koen also suggested it be only one of them that steals, so it'd be easier to get away.

"We'll meet at the park," Rajni added. "Then we can eat there, like a picnic!"

"That's a good idea," Sophie suggested. "But back to what Koen was saying, while I agree that the number should be limited, we don't want anyone else going missing. Evander's still not back yet, so what if we divided into two, instead?"

"Rajni?" Kenna looked expectantly, but Rajni shook her head.

"Sophie, tell Ken 'kazoo'. But just that, 'cuz I want her to figure the message out on her own. So, don't tell her I'm still mad until she apologizes about the kazoo."

"Well, I'm not partnering with Koen!" Kenna crossed her arms, ever determined to stick to her own truth.

In the end, Rajni settled for Koen, and they went out to find some place to snack from. Meanwhile, Kenna and Sophie found a bench in some park and waited.

`、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ(ノ><)ノ `、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ

"So, does anyone live in that house?" 

Sophie shifted in her seat, knowing exactly what Kenna was referring to. Again. It really had been a mistake to teleport her there. While Sophie didn't mind talking about it, the topic kept coming back up, when Sophie was deliberately trying to put those things in the past. Maybe that wasn't a good idea, Sophie thought again. Maybe it was important to remember her past, and learn from it. Was that Kenna's goal? Or was she just curious? Or was Sophie just reading too far into things?

"From the looks of it, the entire neighborhood had been deserted. It wasn't like that when I'd visited the place other times, though." 

"Do you miss it sometimes?" 

"All the time," Sophie admitted. "But I have a home, now. I have a family where I actually feel like I fit in, too."

"I'm glad you're happy with us. Rajni's constantly worried you feel uncomfortable." 

"You can tell her that Mini Ella's really helping." She showed off the rose-gold elephant charm as  proof. She was sure Rajni would know what that meant. 

"It'll be the first thing I say to her when she starts talking to me again, followed by a long rant about how she needs to stop getting so upset for stupid things." 

Sophie laughed, though it brought back questions she'd promised to save until Kenna trusted her with the answers. Was that this moment? "Kenna, I have a question." 

"Hit me." 

"It's... a bit on the sensitive side, and I don't want you to feel uncomfortable. So, if you don't feel like giving an answer, or you hate me afterwards, that's okay." 

Kenna raised an eyebrow. "Okay, now you have to tell me. What's up?" 

Sophie twisted at her lashes, looking everywhere but Kenna as she spoke, keeping her voice as gentle and fragile as she could. "What... why is Rajni the way she is? I don't mean it in a bad way, but she's so sweet, and child-like---"

Kenna flinched, picking at her nails. Her gaze downcast, she said, "you're right. I'm sorry, it's not my story to tell. I'm not even sure Rajni knows why anymore." Her smile was sad. "However, I did overhear that you were curious about me, if that makes up for it?" 

Sophie perked, leaning in towards Kenna. "I mean---yeah, I've been curious, but is that okay?"

Kenna rolled her eyes. "You were just asking me about Rajni, weren't you?" 

With a sheepish shrug, Sophie nodded. "Yeah. Sorry." 

"Anyway," Kenna said---