Te Amo | Chapter 10 | Spain

Te Amo  | Chapter 10 | Spain

Romano spent the night with me last night. I didn't force him into anything and he was too tired from crying to do anything, anyways. We just sort of laid there, each of us taking in the warmth of the other person until we fell asleep. The innocent action made me feel complete. I remember waking up and looking at his sleepy face thinking that I could definitely get used to this and that I wanted to wake up to this every morning.

"....Mmmmm.... Spain?" But Romano seemed to feel me staring at him.

Both of us were still lying on the bed. I was rolled over onto my side, my head leaning on my wrist as I looked over the sleepy Romano. I smile sweetly.

"Hmm?"

"What time is it?" He started to sit up, yawning and stretching as he always did to try to focus on the day ahead. 

Honestly I didn't even have a clue. I never really cared much for time. It always reminded me of how little time I had left. I forced myself to look at the watch on the nightstand. "It's.... 8:00."

Romano groans, hands rubbing at his eyelids. It was one of those mornings where your eyes had a hard time opening, where your eyes were crusted shut like glue. "Go make breakfast, Spaniard. I'm starving." I could tell by hearing his stomach growl at me now.

A hungry, sleepy Romano... I forgot how cute that was! There was no hesitation. "As you wish, sir." I leaned in to plant a small kiss on his forehead before I stood from the bed and began to walk toward the door.

I was about to leave when his voice called my attention back. "Spain, wait!"

The calling of my name was rushed, panicked, and he looked nervous, his hands clenched to the blankets. I respond quietly, sincerely. "Is something wrong?"

"We..." He swallowed. "The two of us should... discuss some things... before..."

I let out a small sigh. "Before you have to go back?"

He nods, looking down at his shaking hands. He doesn't say anything. The hard truth that he can't always be here beside me hit me with a ton of bricks, as it did him as it looked.

Still, it's always best to stay positive. I make my way over to the bed and sit on the edge of Romano's side, giving him a small smile. "So, let's talk. You can tell me anything, all right? Anything that's on your mind."

He nods. Romano always had a hard time explaining himself. It was almost as if he had this frame of mind in which he felt he was always understood even without having to explain himself. He was a mystery, which is probably another reason I loved him so much. "I want you to stay away from Prussia and France."

I was not expecting that. I blink, my face completely blank. "What? Why do you say that?"

"I don't like them! They're greedy bastards, raising wars just because they can!" He cried out, slamming his fists on the blankets. "I don't want you to become like that!"

"Romano, I can't just not talk to them-"

"Yes, you can!" He yells. "Forget about your little trio, and stay the hell away from them! I can't risk losing you in some war far away where I can't keep an eye on you!"orAnd the truth comes out. So he really was worried about me getting hurt or dying overseas? Of course, there's always my illness that is prevalent, too, which I'm sure he also considered but didn't want to mention at this moment. It was just a thought that made us more depressed and we didn't need to talk about it right now. "Thank you for caring about me, Romano. I understand your concern, but I can't just not talk to them at all." He opened his mouth to speak, to yell at me to change my mind, but I cut him off with a raised hand telling him to let me finish. "I promise I won't join in the pillaging, or the trio, but they're still my friends, so I still want to talk to them. You have to at least give me that privilege?"

He groans, crossing his arms over his chest. "Fine, but if you start to become like those bastards I will cut off all contact permanently."

Which was the Romano way of saying he agreed to my terms. Of course, with him, there was always a special condition. I was always happy to fulfill his wishes, though. "Gracias, mi amor."

Romano turns his face away in embarrassment. "Shut up! Don't call me that!"

I chuckle, taking in the adorable way he sulked over the littlest of things. "Was there anything else you wanted to talk about?"

"I..." He pauses for a moment, trying to form the words. "I won't always be here... I won't always be able to help you..."

"I know." It saddened me, but it was the truth of the world. Romano had his own part of the country to take care of, and I had mine, so we both had to respect each other and our own paths.

He exhales. "But I'll visit as often as I can, and you can visit me whenever, so-" He breaks off, seeming to find the next words hard to find. "So don't become a stranger again, all right? I don't care if you are dying I would rather die than live the rest of my life without you, so-" Tears begin to form as he remembers my fragile condition, and the words twist into something much more sad than he intended. He cannot find the next words to say, but his meaning is clear enough for me to understand.

I put a hand to his cheek, my thumb grazing over his cheekbone. "Was that a confession that you'll love me forever?"

Some tears fall, but he moves his arms to erase them. "T-That's... That's not what I said!" He retorts reluctantly.

I smile, pressing my forehead against his, and look into his eyes. "I'll love you forever, too, Romano."

The tears kept coming that morning and didn't stop for a while. I will always remember that morning we made those vows. The way his face lit up with happiness when I told him that, no matter what, I would always love him. And, even though he wouldn't say it, I got the same happiness from the promise he made me that I could see in his eyes.

And, every day, to remind him of that day, I whisper Te Amo in his ear, just to give him a little bit of my love every day. Most of the time he just gets red and looks away. Other times he yells at me to stop saying such repetitive things. But, sometimes, when I least expect it, he'll hang his head down low, and he'll whisper the same words back in a low voice. It's in those moments that I know that I will live the rest of my life with Romano and I couldn't ask for anything else in the world than that.

[[ This is the end of Te Amo! I hope you guys liked it! I had fun writing it for you guys! <3 ]]