Chapter 1

Present Day

Dwayne's POV

I was wolfing down a large two topping pizza from Domino's, which consisted of olives and peppers, and washed it down with a Sprite. My cousin, Isaac, was on his way to pay me a visit. He was coming from Emporia, which is along US 58, 63 miles from here. My entire house felt like a desert, due to my air conditioner not working. My windows were open, with only more hot air creeping in.

Isaac finally arrived, and shook my hand. "How ya been, cousin?" he beamed.

"I been alright, I supposed, I replied, my mouth stuffed with pizza.

"You gonna share that pizza with me, ain't ya?" asked Isaac.

"Thought you don't like olives?" I smirked.

"I'm just playing with ya, cousin!" Isaac chuckled, patting me hard on my back. "You know how I do! We're family! You spoke to some nice women lately?"

"Can't say that I have," I replied. "It's been two years, since I went on a date. Regina took my heart, and shattered it into a million little pieces."

"I know it hurts, cousin, but there is other fish in the sea," said Isaac. "You'll find that woman soon. Have you heard from Aunt Jenny?"

"I spoke to her last night. Her car broke down, and she has to take public transportation to get to wherever she needs to go."

"What kind of car?"

"A red 1976 Lincoln Continental coupe."

"I really like them old cars! Want to ride to the mini mart with me, to get a soda?"

"Yeah, sure," I said, eating the last slice of pizza. "Maybe, I can try my luck at winning the Virginia Lottery."

"Alright, lets roll," said Isaac. I got my house key, and left my house, locking the front door, as I stepped out into what felt like a steam room. It was 96 degrees here in Suffolk.

I got into Isaac's white 1997 Ford Taurus, with a Virginia license plate, and he drove me to the mini mart. Popcorn clouds dotted the sky, as they started to grow taller.

We arrived at the mini mart, and walked inside. Beer bottles were scattered all over the floor, and so were some cigarette butts. As soon as I got myself a Mountain Dew, my phone vibrated. I took it out of my pocket and was shocked at what I saw.

"Babe, I want you back."

A/N Hey, guys! What did you think of this first chapter? What do you think of Isaac? And, who was that text from? Can you guess who it might be? Don't be a silent reader. Please show some love and support by voting, leaving feedback, and sharing this story with others! Thanks, guys! Love you all! ❤❤✨✨