04. THE ROYAL GUARD

1x04
The royal guard

The guards outside the room where the court met greeted Cerys with a bow when they saw her appear down the hall, the white-haired girl returning the greeting with a serious face, a rare occurrence that they only saw when the princess was about to ...

The guards outside the room where the court met greeted Cerys with a bow when they saw her appear down the hall, the white-haired girl returning the greeting with a serious face, a rare occurrence that they only saw when the princess was about to do something that would hurt her. would cause trouble for someone. When the doors opened, Cerys found herself face to face with her father and Otto Hightower, the king stopped for a second to examine her daughter and once he confirmed that she had no serious injury, he approached her.

"I hope you have a good excuse for your absence." Viserys patted him on the head. "Were you riding Dhagara?"

"I rode Dhagara in the morning, with Rhaenyra, you should have come with us." Cerys took her father's arm, hugging him as they began to walk. "When Mom gets better after giving birth, we can all go together."

Viserys looked into her daughter's bright eyes and found himself unable to tell her anything but affirmation. It was always the same, every time Cerys or Rhaenyra asked for something he had to fight himself to tell them no.

"We'll see," he finally answered.

Father and daughter spent the afternoon in the king's room, Cerys busy fixing the reconstruction of Valyria that her father kept in his room while he was checked on by the maesters and Otto Hightower. The princess pretended not to pay attention to what they were doing, but she was really trying to decipher what was being said in whispers behind her. She knew her father didn't want them to worry about him, but it was impossible not to, especially for her who spent most of her time with him in the throne room. When the maesters finished checking on the king, Cerys captured all their attention with the thousands of questions she had about Valyria, they were things she could read in the books she had resting in her room, but she liked having that excuse to spend time with her father away from the political circles in which they used to spend time.

"When you have children they will inherit this."

"It's what I hope, I helped you build it", the white-haired girl raised her head, proud of her work.

"And you did a good job, I wouldn't have done it without you," Viserys caressed her daughter's cheek, "Shouldn't you be helping Rhaenyra with her studies?"

"Alicent is helping her," she rolled her eyes when her father turned her back, "she doesn't need me."

"Rhaenyra will always need you."

"I know".

Later that night Daemon and the city guard caused chaos in the streets of King's Landing. Such had been the chaos that the next morning Cerys was practically dragged out of her bed to attend the court meeting, the white-haired girl didn't protest because for the first time in a long time she was interested in a meeting. She couldn't wait to face Daemon in front of everyone, she knew that her words probably wouldn't be taken seriously, but she liked to provoke people with them.