A Room for Two Please

Maxine dropped Mia off at the front of their hotel and went to park the car. She went to the check-in desk and struck the quaint bell on the left side. She hadn't seen one of these in years but considering the lobby was entry she had no other choice.

She looked around. It was an old hotel built into what she supposed was originally someone's house. It had a large staircase down one side and a set of swinging doors where she heard murmurs of voices.

"Hi, checking in?" A friendly looking teenage girl with at least a dozen earrings and a name tag that read Chrissy looked back at her expectantly.

"Oh hi. Yes, the room is under Maxine? Maxine ...." Mia was blanking on her married name. Max had always been Maxine Walters. For a long while now she had been Mrs. Michael something or another.

"Maxine Reynolds? Does that sounds right?" the teen looked at her with nothing but politeness yet Mia's cheeks burned with embarrassment.

"Yes. Maxine Reynolds that's right. I'm sorry I completely blanked." She put her hand to her forehead in exasperation.

"Don't worry about it, happens all the time. You'll be in room 405. Elevators are around the corner. The restaurant is right through those swinging doors. Would you like to settle in or eat first?"

"Eat please. Immediately." Mia felt Maxine's chaotic energy as she practically shouted across the lobby. Perhaps it was a good thing no one was there.

"Right, okay. Leave you bags right there and let me show you the restaurant." Mia and Max dutifully followed Chrissy across the well-worn floors and through the doors. Inside was a beautiful old library with tables scattered throughout. It seemed as though people had been tucked into the books as opposed to the other way around.

"Is it possible to sit outside?" Maxine gestured to what looked to be a covered porch. "We've been driving all day and I could use the fresh air."

"Of course, right this way." They followed Chrissy once again and Mia marveled at how confident she seemed. Granted it was her job to exude confidence and capability but nonetheless Mia was impressed. Especially because she was never able to do it herself.

"Would this be alright?" Chrissy stopped short at a table that sat on the edge of the porch. It overlooked the town square and Mia was taken back by how idyllic the entire scene looked.

"This is perfect thank you so much!" Maxine had already begun taking her seat, throwing her handbag over the bag of the chair and chugging the water in front of her.

As Chrissy walked away, Mia was surprised by how calm she felt. Despite the fact that nothing past this part of the journey was planned out. And of course, the fact that Maxine would kill her once she realized how dumb this journey was.

The women placed their orders and talked about nothing. Mia was good at that. She was able to evade even the most direct of questions. It was a learned habit after too many moments of feeling embarrassed about her life. She learned how to avoid answering anything significant in the hopes that people would become bored of her and move on.

"Maxine!" Mia froze. She would recognize that voice anywhere. She watched in slow motion as Max looked up mid bite of her Caesar salad and nearly dropped the fork in shock.

"Oh my god, Drew!" Max was so flustered she was trying to stand up but still had the fork. Had Mia not been scared shitless, she would have found this moment funny.

Mia willed herself to turn to the right and see where the voice was coming from. It was practically out of a movie. Drew had the mid-afternoon sun hitting him just right as he crossed the large expansive of the town square. He wore a white buton down with the sleeves rolled up and navy slacks. It was the kind of outfit that said, "At any minute, I could be doing a business deal." As he got closer, she saw the fine strands of grey peppered throughout his dark waves. It was becoming of him. He didn't look old, just more established.

She hadn't moved yet. She watched Drew come closer, crossing the street and heading straight for the porch railings. Max waffled back and forth between going down the steps to meet him or staying where she was. She eventually plopped back down in the chair and reached for him over the railings ending up in a mutually awkward hand grab.

"Drew. My god it's so good to see you! What in the world are you doing here?" Maxine looked back at Mia in complete bafflement. Mia shrugged. She had no clue what was going on. She was just focused on being normal.

"Hello, hello!" Drew released Max's hand and leaned effortless on the railings, crossing his arms beneath his chin. Of course, the railings just had to be at his shoulder height. To Mia he looked like a walking J. Crew ad. All he needed was a golden retriever waiting loyally him. If that happened, she'd get up and leave.

"Mia." She noticed he didn't smile when he said her name. He barely looked at her. It wasn't unusual given their circumstances but you would think after all this time he would have gotten over it.

He quickly rebounded and turned back to Max with his megawatt smile.

Hi! I'm so happy to see you! What are you guys doing here?" He pretended to look back and forth between them but Mia was starring right at him. Still no eye contact. The coward.

"We're here for Mia. She's buying a house." Drew pushed back off the railing as a slow breath escaped from his mouth.

"Really? I thought you said you'd never leave the city?" This time he looked at her and she felt the full weight of his gaze. She knew the colors of his eyes when they were mad, sad, even betrayed. But this was a new one. They said skeptical and she hated that he could see through her rouse.

"Change of plans, time for something new." She shrugged it off and tried to play it cool.

"Did you hear from the broker yet?" Maxine shifted her attention onto Mia.

"Um, no not yet. I didn't get a chance to try them again."

"If you guys are waiting to hear back, why don't you come over? Say around four? We can do dinner at my place unless you have plans." Drew looked to Max for confirmation. She was already nodding before confirming with Mia.

"Absolutely, we'd love to. Text me the address."

Drew whipped out his phone and quickly sent off the message. Mia fought the urge to be disappointed when he texted only Maxine and not her.

"I've got to run but I'll see you both later. Max, text me if you guys need anything. I know pretty much everyone around so if you need help just holler."

Holler? Mia rolled her eyes. Who did he think he was? Actually who had he become?

"Nice to see you Mia." He looked her dead in the eye this time and her breath caught in her throat. It was the same look he had given her every time she'd seen him in recent history. She could feel the anger rolling off of him. He still hated her and he had every right to. She hated herself a little bit too.

"Bye." She squeaked out before averting her gaze. She couldn't bring herself to look at Maxine. She would absolutely burst open and confess everything. Instead she chose to take a huge bite of her sandwich letting Maxine ramble on about how wonderful it was to see Drew. What a coincidence. How magical! How fortuitous.

How utterly annoying, Mia thought as she smiled and nodded. How utterly, utterly annoying.