Do You Want Me Yes or No

After Max's engagement party, Mia drifted back into her old life simply because Max had a new one. It seemed like the blink of an eye since she met Drew on a night out. Back when Mike was still dating Kayla. How in the world had things escalated to an engagement so quickly? More importantly, how had Mia missed it?

On her walk home from Drew's she tried to put the pieces together. Max and Mia had met Drew. Then Max started dating Mike. But then Mike was dating Kayla. So where had Kayla gone? Or when did they break up? Mia's mind was swimming. She had never thought to question the circumstances of Mike and Max because why would she? Max was her best friend. She trusted her. But Maxine had been so distant lately that her trust was slipping away. It was easier to fathom that Max had actually broken up Mike's relationship than to assume Mike had done so himself.

Was she a terrible friend for thinking this? Probably yes. She was also a terrible friend in general. It was rare that Mia reached out to Maxine and to find out she was engaged was the ultimate blow to their friendship. She didn't know where the time went. Now she felt weirder than ever attending such a close personal event to someone she barely spoke to.

"Hey, thanks for coming last night." Her phone buzzed with Maxine's name. Mia chewed on her nail wondering how to respond. She could easily take the easy out and say "yes! Great time!" But something about that felt disingenuous. What she really wanted to say was "what the fuck Maxine. You didn't tell me you were getting engaged and while I know I haven't been around, maybe you'd think it was important to tell your so called best friend that you thought it was going to happen."

But she couldn't say that. Instead she said, "of course, I wouldn't miss it for the world." Somewhere deep down, she meant it. She wouldn't have missed it for the world. But that was more so because of Drew than Maxine and Mike. Sure Mike was a fine guy. It was clear he loved Maxine but they just seemed like two people headed for a certain future without wondering if they're with the right person.

Mia shook off the chill in her spine as she crossed sixth avenue. Her hangover was in full swing and nothing but a bacon, egg and cheese and a hot coffee would fix it.

As she entered the deli, she took her place in line behind the other hungover twenty-somethings of Greenwich Village. Her stomach rumbled with anticipation and since she had no one to text her mind wandered into the gentle hum of conversation in front of her.

Two girls were in line fresh from a workout class. Mia was in last night's clothes and surely she reeked of tequila and old beer. She was envious of their peppy demeanors even if they were hungover. Their workout outfits looked inspiring and she desperately wanted to be one of them instead of who she current was, someone's night before.

"Can you believe it? I mean honestly. He spends all day texting me and then goes dark from 10 pm to now." The girl with the blonde ponytail and matching blue outfit said to her friend dressed in all black.

"He absolutely went home with someone. But then again, maybe he fell asleep." The girl in the black fiddled with her multiple necklaces and Mia absentmindedly put her hand to own neck, remembering what it felt like to have Drew's hand wrapped around the back of it.

"He's never done this before. We've been talking for almost two months. We've gone out at least a dozen times. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt but I swear to god, if he's with someone else I'm going to lose my shit." The blonde looked at her phone once again before thrusting it into her shorts pocket.

"Casey, you know he's into you. C'mon. Drew has always been phenomenal and remember how excited you were last week when he introduced you to his friends? I'm sure this is just a fluke."

Mia's stomach did a turn. Sure the name Drew wasn't that common. But then again it was New York City. This could easily be a coincidence.

"I know. And that girl Max was so sweet. Wasn't she becoming a doctor or something? No wait maybe a lawyer. I don't know. She was cool and so was her boyfriend. Oh my god wait, did I tell you? Drew said they were getting engaged! Like any minute!"