Prologue

I wake up to the sound of a woman speaking over the intercoms of the plane I'm on.
"...Please keep your seatbelts fastened as we begin our decent. Welcome to Wisconsin folks."
Her overly cheery tone irks me more than it should, but I'll blame it on the hours I spent crammed on this plane. After everything that's happened this past month all I need was to take a break and visit home for a while.
I watch out the window as the runway gets closer and my anticipation grows. I've been telling my family I would visit for years, but with school, work, and my now ex-boyfriend I never had the time or the money for a trip home.
Thinking about Nick brings me back to that night two days ago only a few weeks after our 3 year anniversary. I was called into the living room just after I got out of the shower, as I walked into the room I saw him and his best friend Erin who was supposedly in a happy relationship with a girl from my class, but seeing as Nick has his hand on her thigh I don't think that's the case.
I don't sit down I just stand there waiting for them to say it, I won't give the easy way out by screaming and yelling so they don't actually have to tell me what they did.
"Varen... I'm so sorry."
As he says this Nick goes to stand up but I put up a hand, keeping my face neutral with no emotions visible.
"When?"
"2 weeks ago"
"Our anniversary night you canceled because you said there was an emergency, I didn't question it because I trusted you. But now I see that trust was misplaced. I hope you two live a long and happy live with each other."
I don't say anything before I turn on my heel and walk into the bedroom I used to share with Nick. I open the closet door and pull out the set of suitcases that Nick keeps in there. After cheating on me on out anniversary the least he could to was let me have this to get home.
I spent the rest of that night alone, locked in the bedroom packing up my whole life. The next morning I booked a flight for later that day, grabbed my bags and walked out of the apartment not looking back once.
I held it together till I got in my car, that's when it all really hit me and the tears started falling. I didn't try to stop them, I just let my self cry. After a little while I took a few deep breaths and wiped the tears away from my eyes. I started the car and pulled out of the parking lot, only allowing myself one last look at the apartment building before starting off towards the airport.
I focused on getting myself to the airport and finally going home and seeing my family again.