Chapter 22

Reece

Rolling over in my bed, I groaned, my tongue feeling like cotton. Whatever was in that joint Yara and I had last night had me goofing off for the entire evening. I needed water urgently. I threw on a t-shirt and shorts, checking my watch—10:40 AM.

Making my way down stairs, the enticing smell of eggs, bacon, and coffee filling the air. Dad was there, sitting at the island, sipping coffee and reading the Sunday newspaper. He looked a bit worse for wear, but the man never failed to make breakfast for Lance and me, even when he was hungover. He was a saint, truly. Cooking was a skill he learned from my mom, and he loved it. Despite having the means, she never let him hire a chef. She preferred to do it herself, unless it was a special occasion. We did have cleaners, of course, since our house was quite large.

"Morning," I greeted him, and he replied similarly. "Eggs and bacon are in the food warmer. Pancakes are on the counter—help yourself. Coffee has just been made, so it should still be hot."

"Thanks, Dad," I said as I downed some water first. I grabbed my food, and we chatted. Dad told me about Heather, Lorna's mom, who had to be carried home last night, totally drunk. We chuckled about it. Speaking of Lorna, he mentioned that she left early, claiming she had a headache. I told him I already knew.

When I asked her why she didn't ask me to drop her home.She said she thought I seemed busy and didn't want to disturb me, so Austin brought her home. I asked what she meant, but I didn't get much out of her, just that she was tired and needed sleep. I was too high to press Austin for more information when he came back.

My dad's voice brought me back. "So, you know Yara will be starting at your school tomorrow."

I had totally forgotten about that. "I hope you can introduce her to the rest of your friends and make her feel welcome," he said.

I groaned. "So you want me to babysit her?"

Dad chuckled. "No, not at all. Just help her settle in. I'm sure Lorna will help you."

I muttered to myself, "Not so sure about that."
Sipping my coffee..
Lance walked in. He greeted my dad, but he ignored me and sent me a dirty look instead. "Okay, someone's grumpy," I remarked.

He grunted, "Yeah, and someone's an idiot."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

He just shook his head, grabbed his breakfast, and walked away to the other side of the island.

Dad looked between us and sighed. "I don't have the head for you two this morning, so please don't start."

Frustrated, I ground out, "I don't even know what I did."

Lance retorted, "Yeah, you never do."

Dad's authoritative voice intervened. "Please stop... NOW."

Both of us fell silent. For an older man, he was still in great shape, his body ripped as ever. Sometimes he'd attract more attention than Lance and me when we were out, but he'd never be interested. Even after all these years, Mom was still the love of his life. I think he felt it would be a betrayal if he pursued anyone else.

It's quite possible that he's had a few one-night stands, being human and all. Men do have needs, after all. But regardless, my dad's heart has always belonged to my mom. Their connection is something truly special.

Dad informed me that Yara would be dropped off in the morning for a ride to school with me. Lance scoffed, "I'm sure she's looking for more than a ride."

Something seemed off with him. Dad raised an eyebrow at Lance and asked, "Something on your mind, Lance?"

Lance shook his head, replying, "Not at all, Dad. I just hope that since Reece's 'girlfriend'—" he air-quoted the term— "is back, he doesn't forget about his other friends."