Chapter 47

Reece

My alarm sounded promptly at 8:00 a.m.,I wanted to wake up early so I could greet Lorna at her house. Since she would be discharged this morning, I planned to grab her favorite breakfast and coffee. Additionally, I wanted to pick up some flowers, chocolates, and a small gift to lift her spirits. I hoped she had managed to get some rest, even though she had fallen asleep, she looked so uncomfortable when I left her last night.

Thinking about her ordeal—being attacked and hitting her head, then developing a UTI on top of it—made my heart ache. After researching UTIs, it had intensified my concern; it sounded incredibly unpleasant, and I couldn't shake the guilt of it possibly being half my fault. Yeh apparently it can be caused by having too much sex, along with stress and other things, but we were at it nearly every chance we could get, especially the night after my fight. We literally didn't stop.

Apart from the UTI, I prayed Lorna would recover from the attack. I hoped it wouldn't reignite her past and hinder her all the progress she had made in last few years. She was in such a state last night at hospital, I remember her telling me the guy wanted to warn her, about what? who the fuck was he and what did he want with her, I never even got to ask if she recognised him, it had been so hectic and I was too concerned in making sure she was okay.

Shaking off my thoughts, I quickly showered, brushed my teeth, and got dressed. Grabbing my phone, I sent Lorna a text message:

: Morning, baby. How are you feeling? Did the doctors say when you can be discharged?

I don't receive a response right away, so I grab my wallet and head downstairs.I'm greeted by my dad and Lance, as I enter the kitchen, they both look like they also had a rough night, they look exactly how I feel.

"Hey, son," my dad says looking up from his morning paper.

"Morning, dad. Morning, Lance."

Lance barely manages a smile; he looks wrecked. I can tell the guilt of not being able to catch the bastard and not getting to Lorna on time is weighing heavily on him.

I sigh, feeling remorseful for him. "Lance, please stop beating yourself up. If anyone should feel guilty here, it should be me, and I do. I should have never let her out of my sight."

"I know, but I can't shake it off," Lance admits, releasing a heavy exhale.

"It wasn't anyone's fault except that scumbag," Dad quips. "Neither of you should blame yourselves, so quit feeling sorry. It's Lorna who deserves our sympathy. So, pull yourselves together and just be there for her, alright?"

"That's exactly what I'm doing, Dad. I'm heading out now to pick up a few things for her. She should be getting discharged soon," I respond curtly.

Just then, my phone vibrates. Retrieving it from my pocket, I unlock the screen. It's a message from Lorna.

Lorna: Hi, the doctor has just been by. She said I'm clear to go home. Mom is outside handling the discharge paperwork. I should be back home in about an hour.

: Great news, babe. I'll head over to your place. Can't wait to see you and give you a big hug and kiss. xx

Her reply comes back with a smiley face and a kiss.

I say goodbye to Dad and Lance as I make my way toward the front door. "Give Lorna our love," Dad calls out.

"I will. Bye!"

Fifty minutes later, I arrive at Lorna's door, laden with gifts. I've brought her flowers, a balloon, chocolates, and a small surprise along with her favorite brioche breakfast roll and honey oat milk latte from the little Irish café, we've come to love, I even bought scones and coffee for everyone else, hoping it'll ease the tension between her dad and me.