232 | Paint It Red

"ADACHI REN," MAX SAYS in shock as Ren, a member of PHD under the unit Pretty Duo, stares at Max with amusement. Max isn't really close to any of the members of PHD, but he sure is glad to see one of them here.

     "I-I mean...my prince," Max immediately corrects, touching his chest and bowing to him. 

     Unfortunately, Ren was not pleased with the greeting.

     "Don't embarrass me. We are no longer the princes," Ren seriously tells Max as the white uniform looks back at him. "That's why it's lord now, not prince. You better not make the same mistakes again. I will not tolerate such disrespect."

     "I apologize. It's just that it's hard to accept your title after the obvious foul play that happened during the rerankings. But you're right. Purposely calling you by your old title is like bathing alcohol on a fresh wound. It won't happen again...my lord," Max then tells him, and this time, Ren smirks in response.

     "Follow me. I'd like to speak with you," Ren says. And without waiting for Max's response, he immediately turns around and walks away, making Max run after him.

     The two of them got out of Hell Sanctum and walked to the park-like area in the middle of the five dormitories which everyone calls the Garden of Eden. Max continues to follow Ren, who still hasn't said a single thing. But when Ren stops in front of a water fountain with an angel spitting water on top, he finally turns to Max to tell him what's on his mind.

     "St. George Academy isn't what you expected, didn't you?" Ren finally asks, and the question is something that Max wasn't expecting him to open up. "Based on how you just lashed out at those poor serfs at the cafeteria, it's pretty obvious that you've been fooled into thinking this school is great."

     "I just had high expectations, J.S High has its own flaws, but it's not—"

     "J.S High is labeled as the Kings' Castle for a reason. It houses the best of the best, and the system—though flawed, as you stated—is better than those lower than us. Your visit here has a lot of purpose, but one of the reasons is this," Ren explains with an expression that is different from the usual playful and seductive expression he always has on.

     "What do you mean?"

     "This experience will give you a clear perspective at how great the Elites are and how much work they have given to make J.S High the school that serfs, dwellers, gaffers, and brotherhoods alike can be proud of," Ren says, and the way he said such words suddenly left a shiver down his spine. Max never expected a brotherhood, let alone a former prince, to praise the Elites like that.

     "Not a lot of students know this, but you're the new Elites Representative, right? Looking at the state of the House of Bishops and comparing it to our house, do you think you can actually be of help to the Elites and offer something new to make J.S High better? Do you have anything to offer? Does joining them make an actual difference? Or will you end up being like St. George's prestige council they call Saints?" Ren then asks.

     "I've been working hard since the very beginning. Do you think I'm here to fail after all that?" Max replies with a stern expression, making Ren chuckle this time.

      "Did my question offend you, Mr. Sinclaire?" Ren then asks, his playful grin returning as he takes a step closer to the young heir. "I wasn't trying to upset you."

     "I wasn't upset. I just wanted to clarify that the brooches I'm wearing aren't props. These are symbols of the achievements I have acquired throughout my days in J.S High, and I have gathered these brooches not to boast but to succeed as a future Elites President. So regarding your question, yes, I have a lot to offer," Max confidently answers.