21: ENTHRALLING

~VANNIE~

"We have to kill the King. Soon," Vannie said, pacing the grounds of the apothecary. After the rather unfortunate events of yesterday, it was imperative that the King be in a casket. And soon. Not a minute longer.

Crom looked at her with amusement. "Why, you seem positively eager, my lady."

She glared at him, hoping that would quell the pounding guilt in her chest and forehead. She had nothing to be guilty for, of course. It was the mate bond and nothing else. Every part of her knew that.

What else would it be that would make her heart trip over itself at the sight of Sin's smile? Why else would she be delighted at the picture of him covered in puppies—puppies for crying out loud!—and find it endearing?

Adorable?

Goddess, enthralling?

She snapped herself back to reality. She'd gotten married just a few days ago and already, the mate bond was making her see things she'd rather go blind before acknowledging.

"Well," she snapped, irritable, "after all the work you've put into constructing this plan, it's only polite that I be eager to get it over with, don't you think?"

He let out a low whistle. "Your Majesty, I didn't mean any disrespect. Unfortunately, it's too early in our plan to kill the King. You must understand."

Of course, she did. She'd been told it was an elaborate, exhaustive scheme, and it would be a shame if it wasn't executed to utter perfection. But Goddess, she was desperate. She didn't know how long she had before she lost all will of her own, but she was not going down without a fight.

"I can just command you to speed things along, can't I? I'm your Queen now."

His eyes had a sharpened-knife glint to it, almost as if her words were making him consider her in a different light. "Of course, you could. Only, would you'd risk getting caught in the first few seconds of this plan, rather than wait till we're certain the King is coming down with us?"

She sighed, defeated. Nothing ever went her way. "Leave. I have potions to mix."

"Why?" He said, that sharp glint still present in his orbs. "You know where the salves you're making will eventually go to, don't you?"

She hadn't been thinking about that before, but now she was. In the short time she'd had the apothecary to herself, she'd already made jars and jars of ointments and potions that were stacked inside shelves.

She couldn't just leave them there, could she? And eventually, they would be used on the Inlanders, wouldn't they?

Unwilling to share her uncertainty, she glared at Crom. "I'm using this to entertain myself. If I don't do something with my hands, I'll go crazy."

He hummed. "Even better if your source of entertainment will also save the life of some Inlander, right?"

"If you're asking," she said tightly, "whether I'm making medicine for the Inlanders to use, then no. I want every last one of them dead."

He nods once, maybe not noticing the weak hesitation in her voice at the last sentence. "Of course, Your Majesty." He created a portal with one swift hand movement. "Ah, yes. We may not be able to kill the King right away, but there will be an attack on the Inlands soon."

"What? Why?"

Stupid, stupid girl. Wasn't she the one who'd just been asking for it? Why was fear threatening to take her under now at the reality that there would be an attack?

Crom smiled. "It's nothing serious. It's just supposed to help you get closer to the King."
"An attack is going to help me get closer to the King?" She could quite stop herself from sounding incredulous.

"Yes." Before she could question him further, he said, "Your escorts are on their way. Till we meet again, Queen Vannie."

He disappeared into the portal, and Maeve came in right at this moment. Vannie waited for one breathless moment, wondering if the Beth would smell the fae magick.
"I brought you lunch, Your Majesty," she said simply.

A trio of Omega servers came in silently, setting the food on the table where Vannie had been mixing herbs before Crom came. Her heartbeat had not quite slowed down, and maybe these meetings in the apothecary should stop. It had been too close this time. She could have been caught, and only God knew the punishment Sin would mete.
The servers left immediately the food was served, leaving Maeve alone with Vannie. "Thank you."

The Beth inclined her head in acceptance. "It's an honor to be your servant."

Vannie waved it off. "Come on. I know you don't want to wait on me hand and foot. You must have other important Beth duties, right?"

Maeve smiled. It was the first Vannie saw the movement, and she thought the beauty of it could kill her.

"If you'd have someone else take care of you—"

"No, no," Vannie cut in. "I'm not complaining. I just want to know the real reason you're here when you could be doing other things."

"The Alpha has asked me to keep watch of you when you leave the chambers. You of all people must know that there's always danger lurking, even in the places we least expect."

Vannie didn't know how to interpret that statement, but she appreciated the sentiment behind it, anyway. "Thank you."

"You're the most important pack duty a Beth could ask for," she finished, and even though Vannie rolled her eyes, it gave her something to think about. The Inlanders clearly idolized her and thought of like a saviour of some sort.

And despite how much she wanted to hate the Inlanders, it wasn't really their fault that the Alpha had hurt her. She could no longer think of killing the Alpha without the effect it would cause on these innocent people.

F*ck.

What was her problem? Sin hadn't thought of the damage it'd do to Zhode when he killed her father and destroyed her life. Why did she have to? If he could harden his heart, then so could she. She ignored the voice that warned her about the danger of lies, especially the kind told to oneself.