Beginnings

The beeping of the Holter monitor was the only sound audible in the room.

The person lying on the bed was fast asleep. His chest moved up and down filling the oxygen mask with fog at regular intervals.

The city was still dozing, trying to sleep a few more minutes before it had to wake up and run on the treadmill once again.

A faint golden light has slowly started to creep out at the horizon. She took a deep breath inhaling the freshness of the morning air.

The chilly wind carried the message of winter's arrival. She clutched the lavender cardigan tightly. Her body relaxed; she looked past the window to the chimneys releasing smoke.

A ship honked in the faraway harbour bidding its farewell with a promise to return someday.

In a few hours, the city will be filled with hustle once again. Traffic noises and the morning rush will bury deep the unkept promises.

She took gentle steps and walked towards the bed.
Her glance stuck to the calendar. Four days have already passed. She sat down on the bed.

The white curtains rustled.

The air carried the scent of a nameless flower.

She gently lay her left hand on her chest and her right on the person lying down on the bed.

Their chest vibrated under her palm in the same rhythm as one another.

The only sign that showed the presence of life.

The only sign that showed that both of them were still alive.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I read the last lines and closed the book slowly inhaling a deep breath. The smell of the pages still lingering on the tip of my nose.

I looked out of the kitchen window staring at nothing in particular.

The declining sun washed over the houses like melting gold. The water droplets on the grass glistened reflecting the light.

An unknown wave of sadness finding its way back crawled up from my heart quickly reaching for my throat.

"Finished already?"

Mary walked in putting the grocery bags on top of the kitchen counter.

She wiped the sweat off her forehead with the sleeve of her dress.

"It's like 120 F outside!"

she sat down fanning herself. I placed the glass of water and she gulped it down in one shot. She seemed to cool down a little bit.

"So, what is this book all about?"

Mary is our house help.

She has been with us since forever.

While I was growing up, she was all I had and father of course. She was my mother, my playmate, my best friend, my home. She was the pillar of strength and positivity that both my father and I grew up crawling.

The warmth she radiated eliminated all the coldness surrounding us.

Every little thing that is supposed to be shared between a mother and her child; I have shared with her.
I never got to meet my mother since she passed away giving birth to me. I haven't even seen any photo of her.