~SIX~

~And uh, I look around at these kids that I've known all my life and I ask myself.. what happened?~

------------

You close the car door behind you and grab your water, chugging half of it in a minute.

"We ate today." Lyra says as she starts the car.

"Seriously."

"You and Hunter's chemistry is a little unsettling."

"Last time we had chemistry together I exploded something in his face and burned his shirt, and I think I preferred that kind."

"I wish I could've seen that." She laughs. "Oh God, you have to kiss him! I'm so sorry, N/N."

"Ew ew ewwww.." You groan.

"The thought of kissing any guy is disgusting." Lyra sighs. "But Hunter? Maybe if you say you aren't comfortable with it, they'll cut the kisses."

"There's a sex scene." You mutter, and she laughs at you.

"But you're playing Veronica Sawyer."

"But I'm playing Veronica Sawyer.." You smile, leaning back in the seat. "Hey, you're not called tomorrow, right?"

"No.. does this mean I have to drive myself on your day?" She sighs.

"Yeah, it's fine. I can drive us on Wednesday to make up for it." You suggest.

"No, that's alright." She shrugs. "We might just have to get used to driving alone again during the rehearsal months."

"But drivings so boring when I don't have a buddy to belt showtunes with." You complain.

"Speaking of which, what soundtrack are we feeling?" She hands you her phone to play music. "Not Heathers right now."

"Yeah, yeah.." You say. "I'm putting on Ride the Cyclone."

-----------------

You sign yourself in for rehearsals awkwardly, sitting down in the front row of the house and talking to some of your friends in the ensemble. Hunter was already signed in, but you didn't care to find out where he was sitting now. 

"Alright, everybody besides Hunter and Y/N can come with me to the choir room." Mx Whispers says, waving everybody away towards the doors. "You two are with Ms Arrington."

"Hunter, can you come to the front row?" Ms Arrington says, sitting at the edge of the stage.

"Yeah." You hear him say as he walks from the middle of the house and sits down a few seats away from you. 

"So, you two are our lead couple." She says in an awkward director tone.

"Right." You nod, grimacing.

"And I know the two of you have your differences." She adds.

"Well, outside of rehearsals, sure.." Hunter pauses. "But we can put that aside for the show."

"Look, I have tried hard to get you two to get along. Why else would I assign two captains to drama club?"

"Wait what?" You say. 

"Well, it was also because I couldn't choose between you two. You are both very talented kids." She smiles at both of you. "And I'm really glad Heathers has given us an opportunity to have you two starring together."

"Uhm- thanks." You smile.

"Thank you." Hunter says in his stupid prestigious teacher's pet tone.

"I have you both called today because I want to have you run some scenes and work on connecting with each other." Ms Arrington explains. "I've done this with romantic leads before, so it's not just you two. Yesterday a lot of your dialogue felt very stiff compared to your scenes with other characters. I just want some one-on-one rehearsal time with you guys so we can really focus on getting the audience to feel the chemistry between the characters. You guys were excellent during Seventeen yesterday, we just want to channel that throughout the show."