7

Half an hour had passed since my sit down with Dushane and, being the idiot I was, I forgot to text back Jamie, sending him into a panic.
"Fucking hell! Answer your texts woman!" he breathed a sigh of relief as I answered his call, laughing at his worry.
"Aw you care that much?" I teased to which he scoffed.
"Mhm and what?"

His admitting it caught me by surprise as I quickly changed the topic, "Basically I just gotta keep it low innit? I told him there's no fucking way I'm cutting you off and he said he gets it but I can't be hanging out with you Fields if I'm friends with Shelley and Lauryn. Told him he ain't gotta right to say who I can and can't be g's with but he weren't having it. Long story short, ain't gonna be rolling with your lot, I'll still link you but to be fair I ain't even friends with your friends so."

"Do I needa send him a message? 'Cause I'll do it," he offered.
I laughed, "Nah you're alright. Better like this anyway 'cah now you have to actually make time for me instead of dragging me along with your boys."
He kissed his teeth at my laughter, "You know it ain't even like that."

"Mhm. I gotta go yeah but I'll come round tonight?"
"Tonight yeah? Say nothing."
"Not like that you prick," I laughed loudly, ignoring the weird looks I got from passers-by, "See you later J."
"In a bit Mani, stay safe."

I cut through a tower block to get to the summerhouse market, weaving through people and stalls to reach where Dris sat around on his arse all day.

"You got balls ya know?" the man in question laughed, leaning up against the frame of an empty stall, youngers stood around him with their arms crossed, eyeing my every move.
I scoffed, "I've spoke to Shane, it's all calm just you lot running your mouths again as usual."
"Bruv what? Dushane said-"
"Dushane ain't saying shit. This got nun to do with you, me and him have patterned it alright?"

"Imani you're my g and that but u ain't gotta talk to him like that," Jaq kissed her teeth, stepping forwards into my face, only pissing me off more but disguising it with a laugh.
Dris knew that laugh too well, "Jaq move back man."
She looked at him as if he were crazy, waiting for him to say he was joking or something but he nodded off to the side, causing her to huff and move off.

He stood up properly, using the bar he was leant on for momentum before gesturing for me to walk with him.

"All shit aside, if we moving food together then we gotta get on innit?"
I kissed my teeth, "Nah. We don't."
"Imani man," he groaned, "Why you always being a bitch for?"
"'Course you know about being a bitch, fucking bitch boy for Shane and Sul," I laughed, "I ain't here to be your friend. I'm making my p and I'm gone."

He ignored my comments, "Wagwan for that Jamie youth?"
"I ain't got shit to tell you," I shrugged.
"Dushane ain't gonna like that."
"Then I'll settle that with Dushane," I said through gritted teeth, done with this guy's waffling.
"Whatever man," he rolled his eyes, dapping me up to give me what food I needed to move today.

I nodded to a few youngers who looked hesitant but then followed, ready to start working.

———

Two o'clock rolled around and business was fucking booming. I had around two bags in my pocket easy but it was time for me to clock in early.

My phone started ringing, the contact name being Dushane.
"Yo what's happening?" his voice sounded unsteady.
"Y'alright bruv?"
He took in a deep breath, "Mums in hospital innit."
"Shit," My eyes widened, "Anything I can do?"
"Nah- wait can you do me a favour actually?"
"Yeah man let me know."
"I know you been working mornings so your brother ain't see you but Imma need you to get hold of Sully for me. Everyone else is shottin."