Chapter 3: Silence

You didn't wait and you didn't stop. You kept running with Johnny's wrist tightly in your grasp. You flinched as unseen twigs whipped at your face, making you keep your eyes squinted with a hand shielding your face and you forced your sandals to stay on despite threatening to be kicked off with every stride. Your breathing was heavy and fast and so was Johnny's. You saw the cabins begin to peek over the edge of the slope and they so quickly began coming into view. You slowed down a little to side run down the hill safely, still holding his wrist, and you led him down the main dirt road to the counselors home, the biggest building.

Your footsteps bounded up the stairs and you tried the door handle, rattling it with no loosening. You finally let go of Johnny who started knocking rapidly on the door, and loudly, and you started too.
"Hey!" Johnny shouted. "Nick!"
"NICK! HELP!" You shouted louder, stepping back and looking up at the top windows above the little wooden porch shelter. Lights flipped on and the illumination flooded the staircase inside the house, visible through the square window in the door you waited impatiently at. A pair of white slippered feet came running down the stairs, and a blue dressing gown was being tied up as Nick's tired face came down into view. barely awake. He squinted at the two of you and rubbed his face in his hands. His chest rose and fell in a heavy sigh and you both stopped slamming your fists against the door. Nick bent down to unlock the lower bolt on the door with a loud clack, and then he reached up, another clack with a small jolt of his arm, and he opened the door in, stepping back.
"Slow down boys, slow down... What is it?" Nick said, making a lowering gesture with his hands.
"Johnny's friend was just killed." You barely waited for him to finish his sentence. The fact you had to say something like that at all was insane. It sounded crazy and Nick looked at you like you were. Obviously he didn't believe you whatsoever. You were still panting heavily from the sprint and adrenaline.

"What-... What?"

"She's dead, one of Johnny's friends, and we heard the other one scream. We were following them in the woods because it was dangerous, we didn't want them alone and we found Christie already dead! I can explain more later! Just call the cops!"
"This- This is a very serious accusatio-"
"Nick! Do I look like I'm screwing around!? We just saw a fucking dead body! Her guts were everywhere! We need the police!" You pushed adamantly and this clearly shook Nick. He blinked away the remnants of his sleepiness and turned around when the sound of steps came from behind him. It was Stephanie, the counselor with pink hair, jogging down the stairs in her red and white plaid pajamas. The top was a white longsleeve with plaid sleeves, and the trousers were the same red plaid. Her flip flops were baby pink. It clashed a little but that wasn't important. The last thing on your mind currently was if someone's clothes matched.

"What's going on?" She asked worriedly, reaching the bottom of the staircase and walking closer as she looked from you and Johnny to Nick who was heading to the living room. His slippers slid against the wooden floor with each step and you walked into the house. Looking down, your sandals left a few sprinkles of crushed leaf and dry dirt behind you.
The walls inside were a soft yellow wallpaper with small white flowers all over it, and the floor, like the starcase, was a rich brown wood. Beside the staircase was a long corridor with two doors on the right, and directly your left through an archway was the living room. The fire was crackling and glowing and you could see part of a brown, leather sofa with a wooden frame sat to the side of the fireplace. There was a large rustic, red and beige rug beneath the sofa, and a mounted deer head on the wall beside the fire.

"Someone's been killed..." Nick answered regretfully, in the living room. He picked up the phone and dialed emergency services then put the phone up to his ear and waited. After a few moments he looked up at all of you and then back to the phone holder on the wall he was slowly lowering the phone back into. "The line's dead. There's nothing."
"Fuck," Johnny said quietly, looking behind us at the open door, probably to make sure the murderer wasn't around. He stepped back and closed it with a clack then reached up to the top bolt, shutting it with a sudden metallic slide. "We need to get out of here, we-we need to leave. I'm not staying here." He shook his head hurriedly and crouched down to the low bolt, sliding it shut with a slightly easier shift, and he stood up again, following into the living room, and so did you and Stephanie.
"What do you mean?" Stephanie asked, coaxing Nick out of the way quickly. She grabbed the phone herself and put it to her ear and started pressing the emergency services numbers, but she had the same thing evidently as she tried once more then put the phone back with a loud clack, standing back with a hands sliding down her own other arm in silence for a few moments. "Where's the body? Who was it?" She finally asked you both.