𝒙𝒊𝒊. so this is christmas

― act one: drivers license❛ valentina martinez 𝒙 olivia rodrigo ❜REAL LIFE, SOCIAL MEDIA

valentina martinez 𝒙 olivia rodrigo
REAL LIFE, SOCIAL MEDIA.

real life!

December 24 at 6:46PM.

Valentina is bored out of her mind.

Right now her mom's and her are at Betty's parent's house. On this side of the family, Valentina had six aunts, four uncles, and ten cousins. Most of the cousin's are much younger than her, so Valentina doesn't have anyone to talk to. Currently, she's sitting on the ground next to the coffee table, eating the chips and dip off of it as she scrolls mindlessly on her phone. On the TV in the room Rudolph is playing, the movie they always put on at Christmas Eve. They never have dinner this night, just appetizers and snacks because the real feast will be tomorrow. Valentina loves Christmas, and she's usually really excited to see everyone and celebrate together, but this year is different. Last year, Olivia had come with her.

Natalia didn't want to come with Valentina. So, Valentina's sitting alone, shoving chips and other snacks into her mouth.

"So, Val," her grandma calls over to her, smiling softly at her granddaughter. "How are you and Olivia doing? I thought she would come again this year."

"Oh, um," Valentina mumbles, swallowing down her mouthful of chips, wiping the corner of her lips with her sleeve. She clicks her phone off and shoves it into her pocket, shrugging. "We actually broke up not too long ago."

Her Grandma frowns, seeming surprised by this information. "Oh, I'm sorry, dear," she says. "She was such a lovely girl."

"It's okay," Valentina says. "I have a new girlfriend. Natalia."

"Hm," her grandma hums, nodding slightly. "Well . . . we'll have to meet her some time, I suppose."

Looking down at her lap, Valentina shrugs. "Yeah, I guess so. Eventually. Some time." She pauses briefly. "Maybe New Years."

"Do we know Natalia?" one of Valentina's aunts, Sarah, asks. She sits forward at her spot on the couch with her baby in her arms. Her aunt Sarah has always been someone Valentina has looked up to, she loves her and longs to be like her. Perhaps it's not good to put people up on pedestals, however Valentina believes Sarah is worthy of one. "Were you friends or did you two go to school together?"

"No, uh, we didn't go to the same school or anything," Valentina says, crossing her arms over her stomach. "And, even if we did, she's a few years older than me, so we wouldn't have been in the same grade."