Childhood friends

You were nervous as you boarded the Enterprise, the most advanced starship in the Federation. You had been assigned as a junior engineer, and you couldn't wait to work on the cutting-edge technology. But there was another reason why you were excited to join the crew. You hoped to see someone you hadn't seen in a long time.

You and Leonard McCoy had grown up together in Georgia, and you had been inseparable since childhood. You shared a love for science and adventure, and you dreamed of exploring the stars together. You had also developed feelings for each other, but you never acted on them. You were too afraid to ruin your friendship, or to face your parents' disapproval.

When you graduated from high school, you both applied to Starfleet Academy, but only you got accepted. Leonard decided to pursue a medical career instead, and enrolled in a prestigious university. You promised to keep in touch, but as the years went by, you drifted apart. You were busy with your studies and missions, and he was busy with his marriage and divorce. You heard that he had joined Starfleet after all, but you didn't know where he was stationed.

Until now.

You had received a message from Captain Kirk, welcoming you to the Enterprise and informing you that Dr. McCoy was the chief medical officer. You couldn't believe it. You wondered if he would remember you, if he would be happy to see you, if he still felt the same way about you.

You made your way to the sickbay, hoping to find him there. You entered the room and saw several patients and nurses, but no sign of him. You asked one of the nurses where he was.

"He's in his office," she said, pointing to a door at the end of the corridor. "But he's probably busy. He doesn't like to be disturbed."

You thanked her and walked towards the door. You hesitated for a moment, then knocked softly.

"Come in," a familiar voice said.

You opened the door and saw him sitting at his desk, surrounded by papers and monitors. He looked up and saw you.

His eyes widened.

"(Y/N)?" he said, incredulously.

You smiled nervously.

"Hi, Bones," you said, using his old nickname.

He stood up and walked towards you. He looked at you with a mixture of surprise and joy.

"(Y/N), is that really you?" he said, as he hugged you tightly. "I can't believe it. How long has it been?"

"Too long," you said, feeling his warmth and his heartbeat. "How are you?"

"I'm fine," he said, pulling away slightly. "I'm fine now that I see you."

He looked into your eyes and smiled softly.

"You look amazing," he said.

"So do you," you said.

He took your hand and led you to a couch in his office. He sat down next to you and asked about your life. You told him about your engineering career, your travels, your achievements. He told you about his medical career, his divorce, his son. You listened attentively and sympathetically. You laughed at his jokes and stories. You felt like no time had passed at all.

You also felt something else. Something that had never gone away.

You looked at him and saw that he was looking at you too. He leaned closer to you and whispered in your ear.

"(Y/N), I have to tell you something," he said.

"What is it?" you asked.

"I've missed you so much," he said. "I've never stopped thinking about you."

He kissed your cheek softly, then moved to your lips. He kissed you gently at first, then more passionately. You kissed him back eagerly, wrapping your arms around his neck. He deepened the kiss and moved his hand to your waist.

You felt a surge of emotion and desire.

You had finally reunited with your childhood friend.

And maybe more than that.