I Am a Rock: Wednesday x Rock Human Reader Part (1)

Wednesday lay in a field, eyes closed and feeling the rain softly pat her face. Her boyfriend's presence next to her was the only warmth she welcomed in the cold rain. He was a Rock Human, a type of outcast that rarely interacted with people outside of their kind, normie or outcast. He was more social than most of his kind. Wednesday had met him when he'd visited Eugene's shed to buy a jar of Honey. After noticing his copy of The Hellbound Heart, she started a brief conversation about the books the two had been reading; these small conversations blossomed into friendship and, eventually, love.

She felt him sit up, and she followed. "We should probably get going." He said, running his hand through his hair, "We don't want to get rained on too much." He continued; he offered Wednesday his hand as he stood up. Wednesday took his hand, and they walked through the field to continue their date. A part of Rock Human biology is that they unexpectedly hibernate for thirty to ninety days, and then after waking up, they would not sleep again for at least two months; because of these unexpected hibernations and because the two-month window had recently passed Wednesday, and Y/N made it a point to enjoy each other's company as much as they could between his long sleep periods.

"So, where should we go next, my Jet Stone Heart?" He asked her, lifting her hand and kissing it as they walked. "The Weathervane, I need some coffee." She said, trying to remain stoic despite the feeling of her lover's lips on her hand. He smiled and nodded, "How about we check out the bookstore afterward? We can find something for you to read to me when I hibernate." He said teasingly. Wednesday looked at him, "I will not read to you. Can you even hear what's happening around you in that state?" He shrugged at her with a smile, "Just an idea."

Arriving at the Weathervane, the two ordered their drinks, which Wednesday paid for against Y/N's protest. Sitting at their usual booth, Y/N asked, "Have you been enjoying yourself today?" Wednesday sipped her coffee and said, "Today has been satisfactory." she said, which made Y/N smile. "Mi amor, when you hibernate, what's it like?" Wednesday asked him suddenly. He thought briefly, saying, "It's like regular sleep, only you can't wake up until it's over, and I'm always at least a little aware of what's happening around me." Wednesday nodded, and the two finished their drinks in comfortable silence.

Their date continued into the bookstore, where the two browsed through the Mystery and Horror section. Before Wednesday had a chance to, Y/N paid for her books and his own. "Why'd you even buy more books if you're not going to be able to read them for at least a month?" She asked him, holding onto his hand on their way to the shuttle for Nevermore. He smiled and said, "Gives me a second thing to look forward to when I wake up." He said Wednesday looked at him with her coal-black eyes, "What's the first thing?" she asked. He leaned down and kissed her cheek, "Seeing you again, my love." Wednesday's pale cheeks darkened, and she faced forward. "Sometimes, you're insufferable, Carino Mio." She said, which made him chuckle.

Back at Nevermore, they were in Y/N's dorm. He hugged her tightly, which she reciprocated. She could already feel his skin going cold and hardening. "Well, my love, it looks like it's time." He said, smiling sadly. She could already see the tiredness in his eyes. She got on her tip-toes and kissed him, which he happily returned. His cold lips felt pleasing against hers. "I'll miss you, my dear."  Wednesday nodded, "I'll miss you, Mi Principe de Piedra." He smiled at her one last time before taking a seat on the floor by his open window, "I love you," he said, as his skin turned to cracked, grey stone, making him resemble a statue more than a person. His hibernation had begun. Wednesday stood silently and looked at her resting lover. She picked up one of the books he'd bought and sat beside him. She opened the Book and read it aloud to him.