𝖅𝖜𝖊𝖎: Traces in the morgue

Superior Wolfgang Eckert was an entity Dorn could only describe as the exact opposite of the stern policeman stereotype. Communicative. Optimistic. The ability to keep his easy-going, but demandingly charismatic nature under severe pressure, putting his competence as a workaholic at disposal.

All those qualities made Henning admire his supervisor, wishfully hoping that he himself might be compared to him in the slightest bit in the future. Considering that he was Wolfgang's favorite, Dorn's chances to climb the career ladder were definitely not impossible to achieve.

And so he found himself knocking at his office's door, permitted to enter after hearing a "Come in!" in response.

Thick eyebrows raised at the young man's entrance, Eckert took a moment to look up from his desk, a pile of paperwork neatly stacked to his side.

"Guten Tag, Herr Dorn," he greeted him formally, taking a sip of his black tea.

"Good afternoon, Herr Eckert," Dorn reciprocated, closing the door behind him, "I came here to give a short report concerning the interrogation of the woman salvaged from the Rhine."

"I expected no less. Please, take a seat," Wolfgang gestured towards the chair opposite of him. Nodding, Dorn did his superior's bidding.

Once colored medium brown, he noticed that Eckert's short cut straight hair was traversed by few gray streaks, hinting at the man's latest anniversary, scraping past the age of fourty five. Despite being middle aged, his appearance was sleek, the mustache he sported neatly trimmed – something Henning imagined his boss grooming with the utmost care early in the mornings in front of his bathroom mirror, given his meticulous behavior at work.

Sitting up straight as a candle, Eckert's left hand flew across the paper, placing a few signatures where needed, the ball pen clicking hastily as he filled out forms.

"As expected, she didn't remember a single thing," Dorn began to explain the situation, aware of his superior's mannerisms, "The staff at the hospital did not tell her anything. Whether Eduard Arzt lets her see the corpse at the morgue is still undecided."

Wolfgang's dark hazel eyes looked up sporadically to confirm he was listening, giving off the impression that the doctor's reaction didn't come as a surprise.

"Arzt is a stubborn one," he only commented, shrugging it off, "Matters are urgent, but for now, we will have to do the best on our part. Forensic pathologist Melanie Schneider confirmed the cause of death to be of unnatural circumstances, therefore the unidentified corpse will be stored several weeks longer at the morgue than originally planned. I still want you to go and take a look. Frau Schneider will certainly provide you with all the valuable details tomorrow."

Upon hearing the forensics name in charge, Henning couldn't help himself but grimace, even cringe. Reluctance and dislike didn't even come close to describe what he felt towards the epitome of the borderline crazy nuisance named Melanie Schneider.

Shuddering, he remembered how casually she dealt with death, stripping the victims of their entire humanity without flinching, wholeheartedly not being affected by the sight of a mutilated body as she analyzed every inch of their dead flesh. Someone had to do the job, he knew, but for his taste Melanie had way too much fun doing that specific kind of work.

Casting his feelings aside, his professional stoicism quickly took over,

"As you wish."

Turning on his heel, Dorn was ready to exit the room, but Eckert called him back: "Henning."

All of a sudden, the clicking of the ball pen stopped. Dorn turned around halfway to face Wolfgang's intense gaze.

"I heard from Dieter Kühn that the victim called you a certain name, upon seeing you. I believe it was 'Ruven'. Did she tell you why?"