𝕬𝖈𝖍𝖙𝖟𝖊𝖍𝖓: Curiosity killed the cat

After the incident at Rhein in Flammen, Fräulein refused to speak to him. A week of no contact had passed, in which she overtly gave him the cold shoulder. He had tried reaching out to her, but before he could have entered her room at the clinic, a nurse kindly asked him to leave as per the blonde's request.

Once so close, but now estranged became the new status quo.

It didn't go unnoticed. Dorn had to explain the whole situation to his two colleagues. In his version, he confronted the blonde about all the contradictions in her statements, which led to an argument with no new intel being added to the big picture. He didn't tell them anything about the confession, as that was a matter that only concerned him and Fräulein.

When he already had enough trouble lingering on his mind and entered his office, he was surprised to see a blond male sit there waiting for him. Out of all the people he knew, the policeman had expected him the least.

"Herr Dorn, I have a confession to make," was the first thing N said. "I think I've started to remember something."

Baffled, Henning circled the table and sat down at the other end. Out of his drawer, he pulled a notebook and a pen.

"I'm listening."

The young man opposite of him shuffled his feet and fiddled with his fingers. Dorn noticed how he averted eye-contact.

"Actually, the person who put me in the coffin ... I think it was him."

Out of his trousers pocket, N pulled a crumpled up poster, which he handed to the policeman. Behind a pair of black glasses, dark brown orbs looked back at Dorn. The man had tousled hair, its color the same as his eyes. Faintly, he remembered a certain call from Eckert back in May.

"Maybe he is also the one who was responsible for Fräulein and that little boy."

Henning shoved the pen and the notebook to the side. Skepticism took over.

"You only recognized him because of the missing poster? Did you know him personally?"

N shook his head. "His appearance is all I can remember ..."

Dorn resisted the urge to sigh. He couldn't judge how credible the sudden resurgence of a memory like this was. No matter what, this was something he had to get to the bottom of. After all, a clue was a clue.

Outside, a commotion suddenly arose. As much as he'd have liked to just simply keep the interrogation going, the noise was too loud to ignore. Sighing, Dorn stood up, kicking his chair back.

"One moment, please."

He opened the door to throw a quick glance into the hall.

A person had decided to show up at the police department's reception desk, her little daughter in tow, arguing with a male and a female. Together with the female secretary, Gessler tried to calm down the desperate woman in front of them.

"What's the problem here?"

Christian turned around and once he saw the policeman approach, his expression lit up.

"Dorn!"

Henning had never seen him this happy and relieved when he entered a room. Something was definitely wrong here.

Instantly, a pair of small hands firmly seized Dorn by the shoulders and he found himself looking down at the pained expression of the unknown brunette. Her light green eyes pierced right through him.

"You are Dorn? The policeman?"

Dorn only calmly nodded his head. He already had a hunch what all of this was about and he wasn't amused.