𝕾𝖊𝖈𝖍𝖘: Kindred

As stressful as daily life already was, Dorn somehow managed to juggle between work and the time he spent with Fräulein, trying to keep his attention balanced on each. It was exhausting, yet somehow, as soon as he saw her gentle smile when he dropped by to bring her a new book, it didn't seem as bothersome anymore.

In fact, he would never admit it publicly, but Henning came to enjoy the conversations they've had. Turns out she could talk about anything as soon as she had gained information from different media. Talking to her felt easy, unforced, less tense. It was an opportunity to take a break from his own thoughts, which he didn't get at work. For example, in Eckert's office, in which he sat.

"While I'm absolutely happy for my colleague to have a date, I have to tell you that we have to make her case public."

As usual surrounded by stacks of paper and a cup of hot tea, his superior fiddled with his ballpoint pen's tip. Eckert spoke in a serious manner that implied there was no case where his decision could be objected and ever since the policeman handed in his reports regularly, Wolfgang couldn't resist to hint at the 'date' – his term, not Dorn's - Henning was going to have with Fräulein in two week's time.

Aware of his position in the hierarchy, Dorn made sure to express himself in the most diplomatic way possible whenever he'd take his turn to speak, sticking by the topic. "I suspect we don't tell the public her circumstances."

Wolfgang laughed. "Not quite. We're not lying, we're just withholding information. We don't tell them anything about the boy - that one is still off-limits. What we tell the media is that she showed up on our doorstep, not knowing who or where she is. We will call upon the public to provide us with information. Maybe someone recognizes her. I fear that is the only way to gather some new intel, since we're at stalemate here."

Arguing against his superior would be a fruitless endeavor - he would have better chances fighting a boar - Henning knew, but there was some part of him that didn't want Fräulein to be exposed to all the media coverage that was about to haunt her everywhere. This way, she'd get less freedom than before.

His inner policeman told him it was necessary, but the other more human side, buried inside to swell just below the surface, had a hard time coming to terms with it. Yet, he didn't object.

"I suppose so."

"She has already agreed we take a picture of her that can be used. Very cooperative, our Fräulein. Good job, Dorn." His fingers cupped the mug and he took a sip.

It was the beginning of June, almost two months passed since she first had been found. Of course she had. There was one person besides the police, who wanted to know about her identity the most for very different reasons. It was none other than Fräulein herself. Despite Eckert's claims that Dorn had any influence on her decision-making skills, Henning knew better. After having spent a little bit more time with her, he felt certain the choice was out of her own volition.

"Naturally, all of this doesn't intervene with your task. Continue to see her." Wolfgang waggled his eyebrows at him. A gesture Dorn ignored.

"As you wish." The young policeman nodded. He hoped his gesture showed enough obedience to his superior, but he wasn't sure if his facial expression would give his doubt away. If Eckert did notice something, he didn't let it show.

"Furthermore, Schneider called. She wants to talk to you in person."

Dorn grimaced instantly at the mention of the pathologist's name, which put an amused grin on Eckert's mouth.

"About the case, of course. The DNA results are finally here."

𝕹 𝕴 𝖃𝕰 𝕿 𝕺 𝕽 𝕰 𝕿𝕰𝖄