🎪 Break The Silence 🎪

Three months later ...

The steady beep, beep, beep of the heart monitor was reassuring.

Jane looked carefully at the vitals of the young patient currently lying on the bed. Usually, her colleagues rarely brought her down to the emergency department, but this teenager seemed particularly agitated. As a result, she had to carry out a medical examination.

From her point of view, it was nothing too serious.

Well, compared to what she'd encountered over the past two years.

Jane wrote her observations on the drowsy teenager's chart before pushing back the curtain separating her from the other patients.

Unsurprisingly, the emergency room was like a minefield. There was screaming, blood, and out-of-date interns in every corner. Jane literally had to slalom between each resident.

Finally, she stopped at the nurses' station.

"Hi, Dolores. How's your night?"She asked out of curiosity.

"Busy. As always." She sighed, taking the information board Jane handed her.

The woman was close to retirement and clearly looked forward to it. She had light grey hair and new dark circles adorned her dark brown eyes a little more every day. Jane had no doubt that she must have been a real beauty in her younger days.

In fact, she didn't even know how old she was.

By deduction, she knew she was close to retirement, but in truth, she hardly looked older than Bruce.

Jane watched as Dolores moved away to put the information board away. Then she retrieved the beeper occupying the bottom of the front pocket of her blouse. She checked that she hadn't made contact before suddenly raising her head to hear the voice emanating from the television.

"We're live with the Titans, who have once again just given the police their invaluable assistance. For the mayor, the Titans are 'San Francisco's guardian angels.'"

"You've got to be kidding me." Jane murmured as she watched the reporter turn to Magenta through the screen.

Dolores returned to her side with a slight look of admiration."These guys do a lot of good."

Jane rolled her eyes as she detached her eyes from the TV before turning back to Dolores."You shouldn't always believe what you see on TV, Dolores."

"Not a fan?"

Jane straightened before tilting her head with a shrug."I just don't see what's so great about putting your life on the line. They're still human beings."

"That's precisely what's so good about them."Dolores insisted with unfailing admiration, leaving Jane arching an eyebrow with a small smile."They save people at the peril of their lives. And they expect nothing in return."