Chapter 44

Amos

Little use was made of the handsome hero's attempts to extricate himself, considering the deep wound and copious blood loss, but if it could have wrested Clara from the bastard's tentacles, he would have been happy to procure far more serious injuries. At the moment, however, the only rational and feasible thing to do was to wait to get to the destination, not that it took who knows what kind of genius mind to know that it was the "Palace of Bones," the name alone was already a whole program! Well, yes, it was no less than the prison and the most heavily guarded place of torture in the realm of the Golden Dragons, a "vacation village" for the "best elements of the kingdoms"; in fact, he too had "stayed" there for a time before being transferred to that "romantic" sewer from which Clara had taken him.

Amos, to his immense delight did not have to wait long, as the two "good people" who were "cautiously" transporting him, "gently" laid him down in a "comfortable" cell, leaving him as a javelin!

«We hope you like your new home, but, be careful, I suggest you don't get too used to it, because you will soon be facing a beautiful journey to Hell.» One of the two thugs taunted him from behind the bars. He flaunted the dagger hanging from his belt as if it were a chimera head! But perhaps, had he played it right, those two imbeciles could have been his passe par tout. Now a game of cunning and patience was beginning.

The two fools thought better of getting out of the way, leaving him bleeding. Under normal conditions it would not have taken him more than two minutes to get them out of the way, but now he had to try to avoid dying and get the girl back, as well as reunite with his brother and that other turncoat, although he did not seem too convinced about her.

«The girl who was with me, where was she taken?» He asked shouting, even making the bars shake. The wall of sound was well and truly gone!

«Oh, oh, look, look, the poor bastard's worried that they're going to take her toy away. Well, you can't blame him, who knows how many good 'rides' they've had.» Upon hearing such words coming out of that being's mouth, the Dark One made a very quick sprint forward, heedless of the bleeding in progress, grabbing the inconsiderate man's neck through the bars, squeezing it so tightly that his lips turned blue.

«You miserable and slimy lickspittle, you who are not worthy to be part of the honored golden host, you don't even deserve to continue your insignificant and unworthy existence after this, but consider this act of mercy of mine as an event more unique than rare and see that you rinse your mouth from now on. You will now tell me exactly what I want to know and then get me out of here, understand? Otherwise I assure you that you will get to Hell before me.» She threatened him. The guy was more that way than this way, so unless he was so stupid that he wanted to die for it, he would willingly accept her "kind" proposal.

«The general took her to the tower in the West area, saying she would find company there, but I have no idea who he was referring to. I swear to you, I have told all I know, so spare my life, you monster.»

«I have never met a more disgusting being than you. Not only do you beg me to spare your insignificant existence, a useless waste of air in the world without even facing death head-on as a real man would, but you dare to call me a monster. I suggest you look in the mirror again to see who the real monster is between the two of us. And by the way, as I had already anticipated, your task is not over yet. Ah, I almost forgot, I'll commandeer this and I am also taking back my sword.» He concluded, after slipping his sword and dagger from his belt, continuing to hold on to him the bare minimum necessary to prevent him from passing out before getting him out of there. In the meantime, however, Amos's wound continued to weaken him more and more; in fact, his sight was beginning to blur and his grip was beginning to be a little less strong.

The slimy bastard opted to stay alive a little longer and after some difficulty, opened the gate. Just as he was recklessly about to attack, Amos stepped in front of him, knocking him out with a well-placed fist in that idiotic face of his. He looked just like one of those cartoon characters who gets two or three teeth knocked out when a well-placed punch is thrown at him.

Okay, setting aside the laughing moment, it was time to figure out how to get his beloved back. First, he had to think of a temporary remedy for the wound. Fortunately, the medicine station was very close to that area. Before going there, he took the sucker and made him take his place inside the comfortable "house," at least the alarm would not go off until the next guard shift. And for added security, he exchanged his own clothes for those of the other one. He would be inconspicuous walking around in a guard's clothes, at least for a while! Of course, before putting them on he would have to medicate himself, otherwise they would be smeared with blood and hello disguise.

<<In all my long life, I never imagined that I would have to stoop to wearing the clothes of such an imbecile.>> He muttered bitterly at having to donate his clothes to such a being, but it was a small sacrifice for a great cause.

With feline agility, he headed for the medicine room, fortunately empty at the moment. There was no time to dawdle, better not to pull too hard when fate offers a helping hand. So he took everything he needed, creating a kind of herbal compress to rub on the wound after cauterizing it. This would allow him to fight for a while and draw the band to safety.

Once outside, he wrapped his long hair in a bun and, observing a low profile had headed for the West Wing, ready to pounce on anyone who dared to hold captive the woman he loved. Opening the door wide, Amos was promptly attacked by someone who could cope with his strength. It was dark and he could not quite see who his opponent was, but he was certain he wanted to get him off his back, so he drew his dagger ready to use it.

«Amos, thank goodness, I was worried to death.» That voice was unmistakable; it was Clara's.

«What? Brother, I knew a little scratch wouldn't be enough to get you off my back.»

Mystery unraveled as to where her brother had gone. Amos shined the flashlight near the door, noting that it was not a mirage. "Don't worry, no one doubted it." His brother confirmed, relieved to see him.

Still remaining firmly anchored to the girl, probably terrified that someone might separate them again, he had to ask if his ex was also with them.

«No, unfortunately the guards took her away just now. Amos we have to save her, we can't leave her here. They will kill her for siding with us and we can't allow that.»

Clara obviously agreed with Elijah, and as much as it cost him to admit it, even Amos knew it was the right thing to do.

«I've always said it, that woman is trouble, every time I end up risking getting myself killed. Come on, let's go find her and try to get out of here alive.»

«Ah, it's no use being macho, no one believes you anyway.» Clara said poking him. Amos did not dignify her with an answer.

And so it was that the three of them set off to the rescue.