Chapter 51

Double pov

With what little energy she had left, Lillybeth managed to open a passage to their world; this enormous effort, however, led her to the border between life and death. Amos and Elijah never wanted to go that far, but the situation was really critical and there were no other options.

For the first time, in an indeterminate amount of time, Amos was torn. On the one hand, he wanted to unsheathe his sword, go through that damned portal and save the girls, but on the other hand, he hoped that the priestess would not be the one to bear the brunt. In addition, to the flood of problems that was currently overwhelming them, the portal was about to close again, and there was no more time to stand around twiddling his thumbs.

Given his obvious indecision, his brother decided to take matters into his own hands and intervene.

«Listen, I understand your state of mind and I only wish we could all get out of this situation unharmed and return to our normal lives, but if we want that to happen, we have to go through this portal and save our companions. We cannot allow Lillybeth to have put her life at risk for nothing.» Elijah explained to them, with sweat beading on his forehead, watching their one opportunity shrinking ever smaller.

Not even giving him time to think, she took him by the shoulders and this time was not as gentle.

«Listen to me, Clara's family will do everything to prevent anything from happening to the priestess while we will go through that portal by throwing ourselves into it even by force if necessary and such a sentence you should have said to me and not the other way around. Seriously brother, Clara and Eliza need us.»

Finally, these words ended all his doubts, awakening his warrior spirit.

«You are right.» And grabbing his brother by the arm, as if he were carrying a rag doll, he hurried to his destination.

«Ladies, do not fear, I will use any means necessary, but I guarantee that you will soon be able to embrace her again. Please, however, take care of her.» He concluded by pointing to their savior.

«We will do everything. You think about saving our little girl and the girl in her company.» Said the mother, kneeling by Lillybeth's side, supported by the rest of the family members.

And without further ado, the two heroes crossed the passage, moments before it closed.

On Lyria, however...

Clara had miraculously managed to avoid the enemy's blow, ducking at the last. The blow had reduced the redwood tree behind the girls' backs to crumbs. It was a gruesome scene to say the least.

«Come on, don't be so hostile and let me kill you. I promise it will be painless.» Said the madman sadistically, while Clara, taking advantage of her moment of pomposity, managed to free her companion from her chains, throwing a small pink ampoule at her, which dissolved them instantly.

"Thank God I still had it behind me," She said. Lillybeth said Mandragora powder would be useful when needed, and how right she was." Thought the girl, bracing herself for the backlash.

«Honey, I thank you for your much-needed help, although I could very well have done it on my own, but now I suggest you stay in the background and watch the teacher at work. Heaven forbid I should do anything to you, I should have to put up with those two knight-servants indefinitely.» Miss Green exclaimed, parading herself before the girl and imprisoning the enemy's lackeys among branches and shrubs.

«I must say that I did not think I could have so much fun with you two, however, I am glad I had to change my mind. In any case, conquest plans take time and effort, so I don't have much time to devote to you.» Said the man with an eerie smile and a falsely calm tone of voice.