Chapter Two

I couldn't sleep that night so I wondered around outside my room as much as I could before Isaac found me and sent me back to my room. I guess I have a curfew. 

Back in my room, I laid down in the soft bed for a while. Figuring I wouldn't be able to sleep.

. . .

The next day, I started my history lesson. I had to catch up on everything from 2008 to 2014, and that was a lot. But there was a lot I didn't care about.

After a week of history and other things I needed to catch up with—including this actual life, not the virtual one I was used to—Isaac let me go. He gave me all my money that I gained from the experiment and prepared me for my life.

"Okay, for the first few week and months, we have an agent that will help you if you need help. He won't be in your house with you if you don't want him to, he's only there to help if you want it."

"Okay. Question, where is my home?"

"You came here from Denver, Colorado. But you don't have to go back there if you don't want to. You are eighteen, you can do whatever you want."

"Denver will do. So, who's my agent?" I asked, curious.

"His name is Austin."

My heart dropped. "Like, Texas? Like, Austin, Texas?" No, not another Dallas. He's not real, Chase isn't real. This, this new life, is real.

"Is there a problem?"

"No, no..." I'll just have to deal with it. That's all I can do. "When are we leaving?"

"Your flight leaves at eight tonight, you'll have to leave the lab around seven."

I nodded. "When will I meet Austin?"

"Now, if you want."

I nodded again, trying to be cool and not seem too eager. I don't think it worked, I've always be bad at hiding my eagerness...

I followed Isaac through the lab until he found Austin. I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw him. He looked just like Dallas. His eyes, his nose, even his lips. Only his face shape was different, but only slightly. Maybe he wasn't any different from Dallas, maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.

Knowing that Dallas didn't exist and that he was Austin didn't stop me from breathing, "Dallas," when I saw him.

He smiled at me. "Hello, Isaac, I assume this is Scarlett?" He glanced at me then turned away from Isaac and held out his hand. "Hi, Scarlett, I'm Austin."

I didn't shake his hand. "Like, as in... Texas?"

Austin nodded. "Yeah, I guess." He said with a smile. "You look familiar,"

I shook my head. "I've never met you before."

Isaac stepped in. "Well, actually," Isaac turned Austin away from me, talking quietly but still loud enough I could hear. "She might act differently around you. In her simulation, she met a guy who looked just like you. She'll be wary."

Austin turned back to me. "I'll be happy to be traveling with you." He still smiled at me, like he never frowned.

I felt uneasy. "Nice to meet you, Austin. If you need me, I'll be in the garden." I walked off, foot steps behind me. I stopped walking and turned around. "Dal—I mean, Austin, I'd like to be alone, if you don't mind."

"Actually I do. I'll be spending a lot of time with you helping you adjust. I'd like to get to know you as much as I can."

"I think we can save that for the plane."

. . .

After we checked into the terminal, we still had forty minutes until we had to get on the plane. Austin and I got some coffee and talked. He told me about his life, "My mom passed away last year and I never knew my dad. I got into law enforcement after seeing all the Men in Black movies. I get I'm a guy and all—and I do like girls, but dammmnn, Will Smith is a fine specimen."

I laughed at that. "What about you?" He asked. I hesitated and Austin noticed. "Oh, you probably don't remember much before the simulation. Sorry,"

"No, it's fine. My mom's still in the simulation and my dad died in action years ago." I paused. "How old are you?" Just out of curiosity.

"Twenty-one, you?"

"Eighteen."

Austin smiled as the announcer said that the plane was starting to get loaded. We got on the plane and sat down, waiting for the plane to launch. Austin turned to me. "Tell me about the simulation, I'm never able to watch anyone go through it."

I took a deep breath and hesitated. Was I ready to tell this story? "Okay, so, everything was about the same as here until one day in my senior year when Christopher Chase Sprier walked into my history class. He was amazing so naturally, I looked to see if we Matched, we didn't, but that didn't stop us..."

I went on like that for the whole plan ride and the car ride to my home. Austin was glued to my story, all the way from Stella's quirkiness to my downfall. He listened, asked questions when needed, and was fascinated.

I was never so happy to be spending my time with someone so close to my past life.

I'll never forget you Chase. I hope you'll never forget me.

The End