Chapter Five

"Okay...well, what's your plan?" Clear annoyance shakes my voice as I cross my arms and stare at Leo.
"It isn't going to be easy, but it's our best chance right now..." Leo's voice drones off. "I'm going to start working here."
"And?" I ask.
"I'll request to work with you, and then I'll get the keys to your exhibit and let you out."
"How exactly are you going to do that? I have a tail, remember?"
"Like I said, it's our best shot."
"Fine...can you get me some food?" Stomach grumbling loudly, I lean on the big rock.
"Is a burger okay?" Leo takes a crinkled bag out from behind his bag and shakes it.
"What's a burger?"
Nodding as if just remembering that I live under the sea, he hastily takes out the food and holds it up to me.
"It's meat. Inside two pieces of bread"
I reach out slowly, grabbing the food and taking a large bite. My stomach slowly begins to rumble less as it becomes more satisfied. To my surprise, Leo sits down on the floor outside the exhibit, looking around. It seemed as if the people had mainly cleared out of the area, maybe afraid of the screaming mermaid.
"So...um, what was it like? Y'know, living in the ocean and all." Leo stares at his hands, twiddling his thumbs.
"Oh, um, good. A lot better than this place." After eating, I am feeling a bit less irritable, and I swim closer towards Leo.
"Do you miss your family?" Sounding guilty as he says it, Leo looks up at me quickly before looking back down at his hands.
"Of course. But if your plan works, I should be back pretty soon, right?" My voice sounds hopeful.
Closing his eyes in sadness, Leo nods. "Yup, real soon."