Chapter Twelve

"Leo, what are you doing here?" I can hear my voice, but it sounds detached. I feel like I'm floating, and the entire room is fuzzy. Wires, wires, attached to my arms and head. Scientists, asking me why I woke up, asking who I saw. But I can't hear them, I can't listen. My family. I saw my family. But they're gone...no, I'm gone.
Leo's face is above mine, his eyes worried and searching mine. "What happened?! Are you okay?" Someone's pulling him away, his face shifting in and out of my view. "Stop, you're hurting her!" he screams.
"Get him out of here," a grim voice says quietly.
I'm not in the tub anymore, I'm being carried somewhere new, somewhere foreign that smells clean and disturbing at the same time.
A needle penetrates my skin, and in a moment I'm fully awake and being dropped into a small pool. There's a woman with a clipboard and a pencil standing in front me, an excited gleam in her face. "What did you see, Andrea? Were those people on the screen your parents?"
"No, no..." I can't let her find them. I can't let her hurt anyone because of me.
"There's no point in lying. We're going to find them anyways, we know where you were." The scientist stops, an
almost sympathetic look in her eyes.
My panic grows, and I grasp the bars of the small pool. "Please, no, there's no use, they'll never cooperate! I'll cooperate, I'll answer questions that people ask, I'll swim around for the camera...please, just don't take them!" At this point, I'm shrieking desperately. My eyes grow wet with tears. "Please," I whisper.