Chapter Seven

Gnashing its teeth violently, the shark tales hold of the metal pipe between his huge jaws and attempts to bite through it, staring at me the entire time. As he does so, I realize in a split second that the only way out would be to swim back underwater, since I can't swim to the side. Gripping both of my hands together to make a large fist, I smash it down upon the sharks nose, stunning it momentarily. Seizing the opportunity, I dart below to the sandy habitat's floor, searching for something that might gain me some safety. It seems that a long loop of rope had been wrapped around one of the decorative anchors, and it floats gently upon the ground, winding its way through the sand. Quickly picking it up in my hands, I loosen it from the anchor and swim quickly to the rock above the surface. Sitting on it for a second, I peer around, realizing that the shark has finally chosen to search for me underwater. An eerie sense of waiting gnaws at my gut, as if I suspect the shark would jump out of the water and devour me in one bite. The usually calm water is sloshing all over, reminding me of the how the sea becomes rough during a storm. But I rip myself out of my trance and fly back into action. In a desperate attempt to succeed in the fight, I lunge off of the rock and towards the bars that separate my enclosure from the viewing area for visitors. Making knot after knot around two of the bars, I reach for the end of the rope and create a loop, almost like a lasso. The shark has seemed to realize that I am nowhere beneath the surface, and it swims speedily up to me. An eagerness had formed in its eyes, a sureness that the sharks next meal was only seconds away. Hands shaking, prepare myself for her plan. Holding the loop in front of my tail beneath the water and willing myself not to shudder in fear, I watch the shark move closer and closer. When it reaches a point where it would certainly be able to bite off my tail, I dart to the side, slipping the loop around the sharks torso and tightening it. It thrashes around in the water, attempting to use its fins, but being restricted by the rope. Once I am sure I'm safe, I turn away. Adrenaline still rushing through me, I allow myself to sink down to the habitat's ground, beginning to feel dizzy as the fear topples over me in strong waves. Without waiting to see how the scientists would react, I swim behind a large rock and try to forget the last few days.