iv. The Possession of Lorelei Yates

Gossip travels fast. Rumors pass through whispered lips and faux smiles. By the time Lorelei returned to her seat, Neville Longbottom was already peeking inside their compartment to unearth the truth for himself. Did he find a convulsing Harry spurting milky foam like a rabid animal? No, thankfully not. Were Lorelei's eyes blood red and burning with the fires of damnation? Also no.

     Instead, Harry and Lorelei remained motionless. Picture perfect postures, vise-like grips clutching fabric. Within their eyes lay not eternal hellfire but a haunting pass of reminiscence. Each one trapped in flashes of memories too quick to decipher. Her ears might never forget the chilling melody the dementor cast upon her.

     Rumors spread. They twist and turn through the grapevine of brazen students. The truth molds into fiction, and it bends by the will of the next troubadour. Lorelei's fire ridden snarl and Harry's convulsion would change by the time they reached Hogwarts.

     By the carriages, standing board straight beside Harry, a brave Dean Thomas waved his hand in Lorelei's face and got no reaction. "She's been possessed!" He had exclaimed. Now the belief is that a dementor possessed Lorelei Yates. Beware! And poor Harry. His bavardage melded into a pitiful fainting, which is technically the truth however uncool. At least she has the misfortune of being avoided by everyone.

     The train incident ignited a deep grievance within Lorelei. The first time she took the Hogwarts' Express, the first time she made the journey without her uncle, and it'd ended in disaster. She couldn't enjoy the simple pleasures of the sweet trolley or the quirky antics of her friends, nor marvel at the gorgeous creatures heading the carriages. All she heard were screams.

     She's caused herself trouble for nothing.

     Fortunately, her summer proclamation isn't wholly a lie ("Third year is the year of Lorelei Yates!"). Third year marks the first year she hasn't embarrassed herself in the Great Hall on the first night. Mashed potatoes on the Chosen One; the Disastrous Domino (Harry's involved both times). She'll see if 'third time's the charm!' actually means something later.

     Lorelei cowered behind the tall Gryffindor boy who helped her on the train with the expectation of catastrophe. He covered her from the potential of being hit in the face (You can't be too careful with possession rumors) and from the death glare Lonnie would surely give her upon entrance to the Hall.

     Harry couldn't help laughing at the blushed face of the boy as she hid behind him. And he laughed even harder when she made the boy sit beside her to block her uncle's line of sight. Yet, the boy didn't bat an eye. 

     True to Remus' word, Lonnie is furious. She'd caught his eye accidentally upon entrance to the Hall. Even from several feet away, she could see his eye twitch, a low scowl, and a vein about to burst in his forehead. Thankfully, he has too much propriety to make a spectacle in the middle of the feast. Yet, it didn't stop him from angrily glaring at her the whole time. It really does nothing to satiate the rumors.

     "There he goes again!"

     Lorelei slightly peaks over the Gryffindor boy to glimpse Lonnie's flagrant glower whilst engaged in conversation with Remus (Professor Lupin she should say. Now that is a surprise). Her uncle is quite the multitasker. With wide eyes, she quickly ducks behind the boy again, who makes sure she's completely blocked from view. Her ears burn.

     "Blimey!" Fred laughs, knocking into his twin's shoulder. They're sitting on the opposite side of the table. "He'll get wrinkles if he keeps it up."