xi. Hallowe'en Horrors

Turns out, Harry Potter's a convincing Luke Skywalker.

After dragging his feet, fussing and mumbling curses, and overall being a real Negative Nancy as her Nana would say, the moment Lorelei placed the makeshift lightsaber in his hands, Harry finally developed a sense of enjoyment. It only took four hours! However, despite her frustration, she can't deny the naturalness of the costume. The slightly too big Johnny Lawrence wig was the finishing touch that truly transformed Harry into the titular space warrior.

Harry is Luke. And, truly, is she ever wrong?

(Rhetorical. Please don't answer).

In the hour before everyone returned from Hogsmeade, Harry dragged her around the castle to make silly poses in random places. He pretended to fight one of the knights on the sixth floor with his glowing lightsaber and extended his hand at random objects he spelled to float so he could mimic the force. Lonnie even offered to be a victim so Harry could 'force-choke' him. The pictures are flawless.

Regarding Harry's accessories, Lorelei's particularly impressed by her intuitiveness. She stuffed Harry's wand inside a spare clear tube she painted blue and glued it onto the plastic hilt. Say Lumos! and the lightsaber ignites in a colorful beam.

She wondered if the costume gave Harry a chance to be someone else for a change—to not be the Chosen One (despite Luke being one too). He's been granted reprieve, why not live it while he can? It makes her happy that she can give him peace. That's why she made such a fuss about the AHECC. Whether they're a terrifying ghoul or a dolled up movie star, everyone deserves a chance to be someone else.

A tumultuous near disaster of a day turned into a spectacular success. Once Ron and Hermione returned, Lorelei squealed in delight at the sight of the Weasley dressed in a Dracula costume. Unfortunately, it was cheap, but it's nothing a little touching up can't fix, and she did just that. A bit of makeup and gooey blood trails on the corners of his lips, and the spare cape she found in the chest. Apparently, Fred picked the costume, saying Ron was already pale enough to be the vampire. It is true; she didn't have to apply any face paint.

Harry had to show Ron his scar because the ginger boy couldn't believe his eyes.

To memorialize the rare moment, Lorelei captured a picture of her friends in their mismatched costumes (Harry'll be embarrassed to know she sent it to James, along with the hundred others of his masterful poses). It might not have been the group consistency she wanted, but she was grateful nonetheless. In the picture, Harry was showing Ron his homemade lightsaber, posing like Luke in those funny posters her cousin owns, while Hermione laughed at the absurdity of it all.

Luke Skywalker showcasing his lightsaber to Dracula with Ruth Bernito laughing in the background. And such is their odd friendship.

As for Lorelei, the unchallenged champion of Hallowe'en? Well, since the Thing ended up being a total failure, and her skin was still stained orange (Yes, Lonnie did throw a fit), she decided there was only one costume worthy. Only one that she could scrounge together in time. A clown. Pasty, slightly yellowed face, neon green wig, a victorian collar, and her regular shoes Cadence spelled to turn multicolored as she walked. She even carried balloons to turn into animals. Though she's not any good at it, and they all popped.

Besides her terrific, not terrifying, ensemble, the winner of the All Hallows Eve Costume Contest was Harry, in a shocking turn of events. Now, is there some form of bias in the voting? Lorelei declines to answer. The judges are the professors, so she at least knows someone will always be against Gryffindors.