vii. Lorelei's Greatest Fear

Indeed, Michael Covington experienced true, unadulterated annihilation. Because who expects Lorelei Yates to deliver such perfect hands in quick succession, to don a perfected charade of indifference at every second? The self-proclaimed king of poker was swiftly dethroned in one game. Carmine had never seen an ego deflate so quickly, and he sat and applauded as Lorelei popped it—Michael really needed to be brought down a peg.

     Harry, not caring about the game nor most of the players, sat beside Lorelei, smirking the whole time. He declined a hand after Michael's enthusiastic explanation of the rules confused him further, opting to watch Lorelei in her element, which seemed to be card games (He hopes it isn't actually gambling).

     Though Lorelei Yates, little angel-faced Lori, engrossed in such a game proved to be a sight for sore eyes. Lingering students found themselves unable to look away, in fact a small crowd formed around the table when things picked up. It awoke the slumbering boy with obscene drawings on his face, which everyone had a good laugh about. Despite playing the game every week and getting away with it, Carmine made the newcomer's swear to secrecy. Everyone did. They knew if rumors spread, they'd find Professor Yates and if then, they'd be busted.

     By the time the game ended and Lorelei claimed her victory, it was well past curfew. Percy Weasley, Head Boy (He won't let anyone forget), burst in like a badge wearing officer busting the mob. Thankfully, Carmine and his boys were familiar with their routine. With one spell, the evidence of unsavory activity vanished. Percy had grumbled, disappointed he couldn't prove himself, and ordered everyone to bed.

     Riding the high of her victory, Lorelei forgot all about her recent fear of the dark shadows in the girl's dormitory. All the girls, besides the ones who watched her downstairs, were sound asleep and far away in their respective dreamlands. Lorelei fell into a nice sleep, one finally not riddled with anxiety. She dreamed of a grassy valley filled with multicolored wildflowers and the bluest sky she's ever seen. Bees pollinated, butterflies danced and kissed her skin, and the sunlight provided a welcoming warmth.

     She twirled through the valley in a linen skirt and a simple cotton shirt that flowed in the breeze. And she was barefoot; she could feel the blades of grass between her toes and the cool, slightly damp dirt. Lorelei danced all night through fields of flowers with graceful butterflies and buzzing bees.

     And when the morning sun beamed down through the cracks in the curtains, kissing her cheeks in a gentle glow, Lorelei awoke with a peaceful mind. She's determined to have a normal, completely non-stressful day. Under her robes, she wore her favorite vermillion sweater with a faint rose design in the stitching, a memento to her dream.

     When she had walked downstairs with Hermione that morning, Lorelei locked eyes with Carmine on the opposite staircase. He nodded with a subtlety that said he's done it hundreds of times before. And at breakfast, as she happily grabs anything her path, not a word is uttered.

     "What's got you in such a good mood?"

     Lorelei glances up at Ron who slouches in his seat, tired eyes blinking slowly. "Can't I be happy?" She smiles.

     "No. It's all . . ." He waves his hands in the air but doesn't finish his thought.

     "And why're you in such a bad mood?" Hermione cuts in from next to Lorelei.

     "Micah Dunne forgot his sleeping draught," Ron grumbles as he sends a pointed glare to the mentioned boy at the other end of the table. "Snored all bloody night."

     Lorelei almost laughs but covers it with a cough, and she hides her smile in her orange juice. She catches Harry's gaze. Amusement twinkles in his eyes. She assumes he missed the snoring due to their midnight game.