viii. Odd Company

"Did you know Remus and Lonnie are on the outs?"

     Harry chokes on his pumpkin juice and erupts into a fit of coughs. Sighing, Lorelei reaches across the table and harshly pats him on his shoulder to calm him down. A few Ravenclaws eye them weirdly from their table, and they can hear faint snickers from the Slytherins. Gosh, can the Great Hall echo.

     "That means fight by the way. They're in a fight," Lorelei tells him as she breaks off a small bite of a lemon cookie. They're never as good as hers (They skimp on the lemon), but they satisfy her sweet tooth.

     Dinner ended not too long ago and most students retreated to their dormitories for the night. Hermione was one of them, overly enthusiastic about getting some studying in before bed. The majority of the Weasleys are at the table engaged in conversations with their respective friends: Ron vehemently argues with Seamus and Dean and the twins plotted with Lee Jordan. Carmine Weatherby sits three feet away, shoving his pockets full of sweets.

     Something odd occurred during the feast. Lonnie Yates is the most punctual person Lorelei's ever known, more so than Hermione by tenfold. Always a half hour early, yet not so much so the host is nervous. Tardiness is egregious to him, perhaps one of the greatest offenses.

     And yet, halfway through the feast, Lonnie'd rushed through the doors, scaring half the students, and only glanced at her very briefly. He proceeded to the staff table and whispered something to Professor Snape that had him dazed, then he was out the door again. He didn't return.

     Lorelei's always been attuned to her family members. She knows just from a glance if Etty's upset by the way she does her hair (Two braids is stressed, a high ponytail is anger), and she can tell Tommy's been overworking when he watches reruns of Bounty Law. Her family is very good at personas. And yet, Lorelei knows everyone in the Great Hall notices Lonnie is not doing well. It makes sense, students like to catch professors' double standards. "Mr. Yates can't deduct points for tardiness if he's late too!"

     Lonnie's second greatest offense is unkemptness. It shows laziness, a devaluation of character. His eyes were bloodshot, rimmed with pink laces, and his under eyes were blackened by the remnants of insomnia. Neatly styled hair was gnarly and disheveled, and his robes were hastily thrown on, just barely covering the casual attire under it. Lonnie's cheeks were always red from the stress she caused him and his genetic condition, but they were deepened. The most important detail, however, were his shoes that were covered in mud. His newest dress shoes, to be precise.

     It worries Lorelei. He was in and out in a frenzy and spared her a single glance in his exit that she knew said 'Do not follow me.' Her uncle can sometimes be . . . closed off, a point proven by his negligence in Black's escape. She thinks it's related to the letter she dropped by his office earlier. Lonnie wore a frown the entire time she chatted his ear off, mood soured.

     Her theory might be probable. Once Lonnie came barreling in to whisper secrets to Snape, Lorelei's eyes naturally drifted to Remus. He watched them, stared down intently. Throughout the feast, Lorelei tried getting Remus's attention through various conspicuous hand gestures and glances, but he didn't take the bait. She just wanted to compare notes!

     "I know what it means. But why?" Harry's hoarse question stirs her from her thoughts.

     "Well, I dunno," Lorelei frowns. "I was hoping you'd have an idea."

     From across the table, he sends her a blank look.

     Groaning overly loudly, Lorelei's elbows rest on the table as she rubs at her temples. "You don't have anything to offer? Not a clue?" She squints hopefully at Harry, but he only shrugs in response. "What about that letter from your dad? Did he act suspicious?"