A Lying Witch and A Warden

Every story starts with something small, something that will grow into something strong. These small kids are going to do great things one day, we just know it.

We have two children playing in the park, one in the sand and the other playing with her plushie on the swing. The one at the swings has wild red hair, brown skin with freckles underneath her green eyes. Wearing blue overalls and a yellow shirt with her mix matched socks, finishing off the look with a black headband that covers her ears. The one in the sand has mixed skin with dark brown hair in three long braids. She is also wearing a pink shirt and blue overalls as well with yellow rubber shoes. The one in the sand notices a pile of snake skin and bring it to the other children playing in the park, "Look! This means a snake was nearby!"

The three children she was talking to look at her in horror, shocked that she would even touch such a thing, "Ew!" "That's so gross!" "Why would you even touch that dead thing, you weirdo?" Hearing the commotion caused the girl at the swing to turn around, leaving her plushie on the swing as she ran to the other kids.

Before the girl in braids could speak, the redheaded girl pushed the boy to the ground, "Go away! My mom says that no one should be mean to anyone and you're being mean to her right now. If you don't go away, I'll tell on you! I mean it!"

The boy in the black shirt began to leave but not before saying, "Whatever, you pointy eared weirdo!"

The girl in pigtails looked to the redhead, noticing that she is wearing a headband over her ears, "Pointy eared?" Esperanza looked away, ashamed, "Uh... Yeah, my ears aren't... shaped like your's. See?" She takes off her headband, showing her Dad says it's a m... m-med-ical co..." She sighs as she breifly takes off her headband, showing off her ears. They were big and pointy at the end, but to Luz, there no different from some of the ears she would see in the books she would love to read and the movies she would love to watch.

The other girl smiles, "Condition? That's okay, I think they look cool! Oh! My name is Luz, Luz No-ced-a! We... We can be friends, uh."

"My name is Esperanza Fox!" Esperanza stuck out her hand and Luz shook it, adding in, "It's nice to meet you Esperanza Fox! Oh! How about I call you Esper for short!"

Esper smiles, approving of the nickname, "Oh! That sounds so cool! There's my dad! We should go tell him! Come on, Luz!"

And that's how it started, the two girls were almost inseparable after that. They noticed that they have lived across the street from each other as well. For years, they would be the only ones looking out for each other in school, celebrating birthdays together, getting into trouble together, Esper was there for Luz when her father died, etc. They would constantly be over the other's house, with Luz taking note of just how many toys and video games Esper owns, Esper seeing Luz's collection of Azura books and how much they mean to her as well.

...

Then came the day that would change their lives forever, years later, on Esper's 14th birthday. Luz had already turned 14 months ago and Esper was there but for some reason, on her birthday, her parents requested that Luz not be there. Camila knew the reason and allowed this. It was strange to Esper but she figured it meant they wanted to give her something special.