Chapter 2; WTF him?

I stared at the Tomioka's paper.

Tomioka, Giyu   Percent score: 99.99%

Now I looked at mine

Kocho, Shinobu   Percent score:99.98%

"How?" I shrieked at him. He smirked at me, and I wanted to punch him.

The teacher walked in and all was silent. He pulled out a piece of paper and started to read slowly.

"Now, all of you will have a chance to earn 100,000 dollars. I'm assigning all of you for a project at the beginning of the year. Using your current knowledge, you need to create a medicine that can help the world. Best projects are placed in an awards show. This is a necessary project. This can also fund our school with 100,000. By using your test scores, I am going to pair you."

I rolled my eyes. So much work on the first day. But it was fine. I would easily finish it. Getting 100,000 would be really helpful for me. That meant I could use the time I used working to study. And beat Tomioka.

"Also, winner gets a guaranteed place as an intern in a medicine's company of choice."

My eyes widened. I really needed a good partner for this. If I got this opportunity, the dream I always had since I was seven would be in my hands.

"So, William Albert and Lucie Kingston. Uzui Tengen and Muichiro Tokito. Esther Gomez and Selena West..."

His voice droned on and on as I awaited who I would be paired up with.

"Shinobu Kocho and Giyu Tomioka." My jaw dropped. Now way I was working with that weirdo! I didn't care if he was smart! I do not want to catch emo-itis.

"Mitsuri Kanroji and Obanai Iguro. These are your partners. You have three months to create a project."

Now he talked about today's lesson, but I could hardly listen. I slowly turned my head towards Tomioka but saw he was already staring at me, dumbfounded. We looked away quickly and someone snickered. I turned my head towards the noise. Mitsuri was at the back, trying not to smile. Tengen gave is a thumbs up.

"God. I wished they would disappear into nothing." I thought.

***

"So...um..." Tomioka tapped me on the shoulder and I whirled around, nearly whacking him with my butterfly pin.

"Sorry! Hi..."

"Could I get your number? For the project..." my eye twitched.

"Okay-"

"So Tomioka! Do you like my bestie right now?" Mitsuri said, suddenly behind me. I yelped.

"I like who?" Tomioka asked.

"I'm your bestie?" I asked at the same time.

"Shinobu, you should really start on your project right now! You know...about the fact how you really wanted to be in that medical company? You have to win first in order to be an intern there!"

Tomioka looked at me weirdly. "Medical company?"

I grabbed my Starbucks drink and looked at Mitsuri. "How do you know that?" I asked, taking a sip.

"I read your diary." She said proudly. I spat all the coffee onto Tomioka's shirt.

"You WHAT?!" I asked.

"Shinobu, your drinking my coffee. Yours is in your backpack drink holder." I dropped the drink on his shoe.

Mitsuri shriek and pulled me to the side.

"I didn't know you had a thing for the loner!"

Shush! You're whispering so loud!"

"So you do like him!"

"No I don't!"

Sighing, I just gave Tomioka my phone and told him to type it in and get it over with.

"Shinobu, you owe me coffee. And a new shirt. And-"

"Later. Text me dude." I snapped and ran after Mitsuri.

***

Giyu Tomioka

Shinobu drove home with me. Apparently Mitsuri said she was walking, and Shinobu said we should try and start our project now. Honestly, fine by me. Tsutako moved last night to LA and I was left in NY. Being alone brought back the flashbacks of the school shooting. Parking our cars, I told Shinobu not to be too loud. After walking up the my apartment, I unlocked the door. Shinobu smiled at the sight of my apartment.

"Ara ara Tomioka. This is a pretty home."

"Call me Giyu, will you?" I asked.

"I don't address people who are weirdos that I deeply despise."

"How did I become 'deeply despised?'" I asked.

"Because your in the way of me becoming an intern as a scientist in a medical company." She said simply.

"So you think everything should go your way? Are you going to bribe your way into becoming first place?" I asked, anger coursing though me.

"No dummy. I'm going to beat you with my own knowledge. I work hard to actually gain what I want." She said angrily looked at me oddly. Oops. Maybe all people weren't money bribers who get their way.

"What?" I snapped.

"N-nothing." She looked away.

"So...what do you want to do?" I asked. "For our project...I mean."

"My sister, Kanao! She's sick with a variation of cancer, except no one has ever seen it before."

"Maybe." I sat down. It would possibly make a good topic. It could also keep me on good terms with her. Lost in thought, I looked and Shinobu carefully.

She was really pretty, now I thought about it. Like Tsutako, but prettier...I'm not gonna tell Tsutako that part.

Her lips were pressed together and in thought. She always did that when she was thinking.

What was I thinking? Why was I watching her anyway.

"Anyway, it's late. Shouldn't you go home?" I asked. She nodded quickly.

"I know the address now. Mitsuri's waiting for me, probably. I'll come over tomorrow. I haven't had the chance to eat dinner yet. By the way, why do you live so far away from the college?"

I didn't answer her question. 

"Text you later." She said, sighing at my silence.

I nodded. As we exited, I found her poor car taking up two parking spaces.

"Shinobu. How did you get your driver's license? You can't even park!" I exclaimed. Never in my life has I seen someone be so bad a driving.

"Don't question. Also, how can I talk to you about something interesting and you don't respond, yet when it comes to cars, you actually say something?" She asked. Rolling her eyes, Shinobu got into her car and smiled at me, making me feel weird.

"Sayonara!" She drove off, and very awfully. Nearly crashing into me. Maybe on purpose?

"I really need to teach her how to drive before she even starts on the project with me." I thought.